Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, January 6, 2020

Habits

In the words of Annemarie De Seriere, HABIT stands for Healthy Acceptance Breaks Insecurity and Tension.

A habit is something that we habitually do, whether it be positive or negative. They are easy to recognise because they’re something we repeatedly do.

Harmful habits may be easy to form but can be hard to break, while healthy habits can be difficult to form but easy to forget. One of life’s ironies!

Habits hunger for repetition so if it’s a healthy habit, keep feeding it!

If it’s a hurtful habit, starve it, cut it off or we will be driven to compulsion or addiction.

Focussing on what you don’t  want, creates more of what you don’t want.

Consistently focus on what you do want and then take healthy baby steps towards it every single day.

A good tip to help with your focus is before you get out of bed every morning, create an intention for yourself ... *Today I will show myself love by continuing my good habits and creating a healthier, happier future that I can share with my loved ones*

Whenever you waiver ... show yourself love.

A good habit to form is ‘gratitude’. This is especially helpful if you have trouble falling asleep at night. If our last focussed thoughts at night are thoughts of love and gratitude, it’s easier for your mind to relax and rest.

Get yourself a notebook or journal to keep beside the bed. The very last thing you do before you turn out the light is write three things in your life that you are most grateful for.

My three for yesterday:

  1. I am grateful for the fresh clean air that we can breathe in our fire free community.
  2. I am grateful for my artistic and creative abilities that allow me to experiment and enjoy art.
  3. I am grateful for technology that allows me to keep connected with my friends and family.
It can be as simple as being grateful for the red rose that just blossomed in your garden, for your dog’s happy wagging tail when you come home, for the taste of a fresh juicy Summer mango, for the sound of Willy Wagtails whistling outside your bedroom window, for the smiles on your grandchildren’s faces or for your regular weekly coffee with the girls.

Gratitude can be as small or as big as you want it to be.

There is much for which to be grateful and we become complacent and take it all for granted.

Look around. Breathe in the clean air. Listen to the sounds of Nature - the wind blowing through the trees, the birds singing, the water lapping on the banks of the river, the frogs calling to each other and the bees buzzing.

We have the ability to make a conscious choice to take control of our health and we have the resources at our hands to actively put those changes into action.

We have fresh food at our fingertips at the supermarkets, the farmers markets or in our own gardens.

We have an affordable medical system if you choose to use it and many different groups, organisations and departments to provide all kinds of assistance if we know where to look.

We have affordable housing in most areas of Australia.

Technology has provided us with a variety of opportunities to create and nurture online businesses helping us earn a good income while working from home.

It also gives us easy access to education and learning opportunities.

We have freedom of speech and the protection of political correctness.

We have access to fresh water, power and many forms of communication.

We have laws to protect us.

Despite what mainstream media tell us, there are so many good people in this world, the quiet achievers, fighting for our rights, protecting our environment/rivers/oceans/animals, keeping us safe and protecting our freedoms.

We live in a generally safe and peaceful country.

Just a few good reasons to feel grateful and not be complacent - so make gratitude a good daily habit in your life. Feel the feels.

Its 4.20pm and I am still in my pjs and still in bed.

I’ve spent the day reading, working, playing, writing and eating.

It’s almost time to get up and cook dinner!

Nite all.

Some of my posts include excerpts or summaries of snippets from Annemarie De Seriere’s two books - “Peace, Power and You” and “Will to Wonder”, both of which are available at The Happy Abode.

No comments: