Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

All The ‘M’s

A huge day of shopping yesterday (Tuesday) because the constant heavy rain ruined any other plans that we might have had, so Adoring Husband volunteered to stay at home so that I could drop til I dropped.

As you can imagine, I was just a little bit in heaven!

I had lots of interesting business conversations with other shop/boutique owners. Except for the obvious tourist seasons, we all agreed that there is no pattern for busy days. We can never rely on any one day of the week to be the best money making day.

The shops on the main drag of Mooloolaba do however have much better days during wet weather because there’s nothing else for people to do except shop!

A lot of shops here sell what we sell and in 99% of cases, The Happy Abode has much better prices, and that’s for all our clothing lines, jewellery, Ivys bags, snap buttons, glass figurines, teapots and cups, wine coolers, hand creams etc etc etc.

I found lots of stuff that we DON’T sell and the only thing I did not purchase was a beautiful designer top for $499. 😳

I walked into this shop and selected a couple of tops (without looking at the prices) to try on. There appeared, on the surface, to be nothing special about these clothes and the saleswoman offered to put my clothes in a fitting room for me, which I agreed to and thanked her.

It was then that I looked at the price of a singlet top - $369.

THAT is when I realised that these clothes were all from different designers - most of whom I didn’t recognise - and I immediately thought to myself “I don’t spend that kind of money on regular clothes! Maybe for a special occasion, but let’s be honest, my only special occasions these days are Friday nights at the club. Friday raffle night does not deserve such expensive tops!” and I considered leaving.

But then I thought “Come on. Indulge. There is no commitment to buy. Just try them on and enjoy yourself!”

So I did.

Of the four outfits that I tried on, only one top looked and felt amazing. It was a Trelise Cooper top and this photo just doesn’t do it justice because it was beautiful to look at, to touch and felt amazing on.


$499 was more than I was willing to pay. The experience of trying on clothes a price level up from my norm was nice - and my next challenge is to go to a higher level again to see how the rich and famous feel! Haha!

I indulged in some other beautiful tops and jewellery that I love. And shoes of course! Here are just a few of my purchases. The pics are pretty bad but the white top is linen and much nicer than the photo shows.










Retail therapy at its finest.

Today we drove to Montville, Mapleton and Maleny. The weather was humid with a few soft showers along the way, but otherwise very conducive to sight seeing and walking.

We lunched at Mary Cairncross ...


By the time we arrived home, we were both exhausted and instead of dressing up for a restaurant, we got takeaway from that delicious seafood takeaway place. Sooooo good!

Tomorrow we lunch with Rebel Mardi and The Lifesaver and we’re both really looking forward to that.

So I’d best get some sleep!

Nite all.


No comments: