Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, August 22, 2022

Whale of a Time

Now I have two sets of photos that I want to share but neither of those sets are ready yet.

So watch this space and some time this week, when I get the time and am feeling energised enough to edit/process, you’ll get to see my first photography in about three years!

We were up bright and early - although my alarm didn’t go off so I was feeling under pressure before I even left the house. That was annoying.

When we arrived there were only about five people waiting at the boat. We were 30 minutes early and as time passed, the crowd built and there were good numbers for the morning trip out to find some whales.

The weather was mild but I certainly didn’t get my wish with the sky. It was partly cloudy so I had to play with my settings throughout the day as the sun and the clouds chased each other.

We only found four pods of whales and they remained far from the boat. Even my big 400 lens struggled to capture their minimal antics.

There was one breach that I accidentally, but luckily, captured, however it was a LONG way from the boat. A mother was teaching her baby to slap tails, but again, a long way from the boat. One whale slapped its dorsal fin a few times.

That’s about the long and the short of it.

I’ve been whale watching at least 20 times and this trip goes in my bottom three. 

The Spirit of Hervey Bay crew were friendly enough but not as welcoming or engaging as previous crews on other boats. We were offered tiny cups of tea or coffee and a limited selection of GF snacks for morning tea.

The other patrons filled the front tiers of the boat and the captain aimed the boat at 12 o’clock so unless you were Johnny on the spot up front, it was impossible to see the whales unless the boat drifted to the left or right. I spent my time hanging over the edge of the boat craning to catch a glimpse.

So it was a disappointing day and I wouldn’t use Spirit of Hervey Bay again.

Afterwards we went to Salt cafe for lunch. Adoring Husband and I had the barramundi which was delicious - especially with the beautiful little finger limes.

We stopped to check the mail and came directly home.

I have to say that the Travacalm helped but wasn’t 100% effective and left me feeling pretty fuzzy for the whole day. It’s now 9pm and I’m just starting to feel a bit clearer in the head.

I fell asleep on the couch around 5.30pm and I came to bed at 6.30pm where I dozed on and off for the next hour.

It’s been a tiring and disappointing day really. BGWLBH had a lovely time without Travacalm but AH, who didn’t have any Travacalm felt a bit icky all day and didn’t even use his camera.

That’s about it from me.





Nite all.


No comments: