Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

A Night Out

Warning from an Australian (Queensland) farmer - Food Shortages to come and why …


Well the weather certainly took a turn for the worst last night with a drop in temperature and gale force winds whipping up just before midnight. I could feel the house vibrating with the strong gusts!

For that reason, and because we had plans for tonight, we girls decided to skip coffee at the park. I’m sure we’d have been blown into the river if we’d attempted our Wednesday morning ritual.

I spent the day, after making bacon and eggs for my breakfast, doing mundane chores like chopping open the 2 dozen passionfruit and putting the flesh into ice cube containers to freeze, wrapping gifts to send to my kids and grand kids, helping BGWLBH print out paperwork for tax purposes, inspecting the laundry tub that Adoring Husband has set up outside my art space, figuring out what I was wearing tonight etc etc.

There were ten of us meeting at the local bowls club for dinner. Some of the girls from my old art classes and a few from meditation.

BGWLBH and I were the first to arrive and we bought our alcoholic beverages and put our keno on for the night. Probably twenty minutes later, the first of the girls arrived followed by a bus load and finally a late straggler.

We all sat with our beverages chatting for half an hour before moving into the restaurant where they had reserved a large area for us at one end of the room. We decided to order straight away because it was quite crowded and we didn’t want to be waiting all night.

Surprisingly, our meals were ready in good time. 

Even though I’ve heard a lot of good reports about the food, only three of us enjoyed our meals tonight. The chicken breast was dry and tough, the calamari crumb was not cooked long enough so it was moist and unpleasant, the pork ribs were full of gristle and sinew and couldn’t be cut, the barramundi was dry around the edges and unseasoned.

The girls who had the salmon were happy, as was the chicken schnitzel recipient. 

I don’t plan on returning any time soon. It has been a good ten years since I was served a decent meal in that restaurant.

However, the company was fun. There was plenty of laughter and mucking about and we were pretty noisy!

We all started together at 5.30pm and we’re on our way home at 8.30pm. It was a nice gathering of oldies with only the 40 yr old disappointed in the early night finish.

AH dropped us there and then picked us up so we didn’t have to wait for the bus. We calculated that it wouldn’t return for us until after 9pm and we’d be the last dropped off so a 9.30pm home time was really not acceptable. AH is a good egg.

Now it’s 11.30pm and I’m supposed to be up early for another trip into The Bay so I’d best get some sleep.




Nite all.


No comments: