Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, October 23, 2011

What a Day

We had a much later start this morning than originally planned, but we finally drove away from our house at 9am and headed north to Rockhampton.

The sign outside Howard stated 356 kms to Rocky, which equates to about four hours if you take it easy and have a short break or two along the way.

Well!!  It was almost 3pm when we finally drove into our cottage driveway and began unpacking the car.

It must be one of the worst stretches of road in Australia!

For most of the drive, there were no overtaking lanes.

We followed three 'oversized' trucks carrying what looked to be portable offices.  I would guess they were being transported to a mining site, considering the hundreds of mines established in Queensland, and the 'hundreds' more that have been approved for development in the coming months and years.

These offices were much wider than the usual 'Coates Hire' jobs and they were balanced over the back of the trucks and took up a lot more space than a single lane of the highway.

Their pilot cars were driving with their yellow flashing lights and one of the drivers even had a glowing wand that he was waving out the car window to alert on-coming traffic to move over.

So we were,  on a few occasions, stuck behind slow wide loads, slow elderly gentlemen wearing hats, slow caravans and a slow or 'fluctuating' (as I like to call them) female driver who appeared to be more engrossed in her conversation with the passenger, than the road.

By 'fluctuating', I mean that their speed fluctuates between 70kph and 100kph.  Very annoying.

There were minimal safe places to overtake, although there were a number of 'P' platers who seemed to think that overtaking on a hill was safe AND overtaking a truck and two cars at a time on a hill was also safe.  **rolls eyes**

There was lots of roadworks, so we had to stop for those two or three times.

I have a condition that requires frequent urgent bathroom stops.  There were LONG distances without any rest areas or service stations with bathrooms.  VERY frustrating, and scary at times, especially when there would be a sign stating a bathroom was ahead 12 kms, but we were stuck behind a truck travelling at 80kmh or slower!!

We finally found a stop after travelling quite a long distance, and as we came around the corner, there were about 200 motor bikes parked along the road next to the bathrooms!!  I thought for sure, I would have to stand in a long queue and I didn't think I was capable of doing that!

Poor Adoring Husband copped a mouthful for that one ... not his fault of course ... but my frustration and desperation took control of me.  Sorry darling.

Finally, we arrived in Rocky, and at our destination, unpacked the car and settled into our charming little cottage.  It's a small two bedroom high set Queenslander with a lovely front verandah overlooking a pleasant little garden with trees and flowers and the usual north QLD vines and succulents and lush greenery.

Unfortunately, it is quite close to a main road, so even though the traffic noise is not extreme, for people like us who hear nothing but the soft twittering of Willy Wagtails during the night, this will possibly disturb our sleep.

We also seem to be in the airport flight path.  The noise doesn't rattle the window panes, but is enough to make us look up when the plane flies overhead.

Last, but by no means least, there is a rail line very close by.  I haven't heard a train yet, but we haven't been at the cottage for the whole time .. we left for some grocery necessities and then to the local club for dinner, but Adoring Husband seems to be quite excited about the prospect of seeing/hearing a train so close!

Despite all of this, there is a lovely whicker lounge suite on the front verandah, and I made my way out there this afternoon.

The birds were singing and there was a lovely breeze that made the palm fronds rustle as it blew through the trees.

It reminded me of times, long ago, when I was a child, at my grandparents house in Queensland.  The same style house, with the same kind of verandah, same high ceiling and the same smell .. I can't describe the smell .. but it's very distinct for these houses.

It was just lovely and I sat there and enjoyed the feeling.  No books, no computer, no phone, just the peace and tranquility and I soaked up the ambience.  Reliving some long ago memories.

It didn't matter about the traffic or the planes or the trains.  I was in my own little world.

So the day has been long and drawn out.  We are so happy to finally arrive safe n sound.  So far it feels like a little patch of paradise away from our little patch of paradise.

I will, however, make myself perfectly clear ... I am not a fan of the city of Rockhampton (sorry Rockhampton) so my description is a hell of a compliment to Goldston House and neighbouring Goldston Cottage.

If ya gotta be here ... then this just might be the place to try.

Nite all

No comments: