Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

RIP Phoenix

My brother was brave and strong when he stood up today and spoke of his partner, friend, lover, soul mate and rock.

While the little chapel was wracked with the sobs of friends and family who gathered to say goodbye, he held it together, spoke from the heart and tried valiantly to be the rock to Phoenix's family, that she had been to him in their years together.

His words were heartfelt and true and comforting to those who cared deeply.

Each time his voice began to quiver, I don't know where he found the strength to keep talking, but somehow he did, and he was wonderful.

Her funeral was exactly as she had wanted it.  A short and simple celebration of her life.

Friends and family gathered at another friend's house for her wake and that's where people shared their Phoenix experiences and declared their love for her.

She would have been pleased with everybody "being excellent to each other", one of her favourite quotes from a Bill and Ted movie.

I didn't know Phoenix very well at all, but I do know that she made my brother very happy - the happiest I have ever seen him, and I hope that he will carry that happiness and love with him through the challenging weeks and months ahead as he goes through his grieving process.

So I have two photos to dedicate to Phoenix.

A Coastal Sunset.

A Rain Forest Path.
I know that she loved the rain forests and the beaches (all things in nature really).

Rest in Peace Phoenix

Nite all.      

No comments: