Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

More Bird Surprises

After my coffee at the Seat of Knowledge this morning, there was no sign of the Whistling Kites, so I decided to pedal along the path beside the river.

My first stop was not too far along when I spotted a Tawny Frogmouth high in a tree.


There were actually two of them, but the other one was well hidden and obviously didn't want to be photographed today.

Then I went looking for the Pacific Baza.  No luck there either.  I couldn't even hear the baby calling out to be fed, and that has been a familiar sound over the last month.  So I pedalled on.

At the top of the rise, just before the next boat ramp, there are a couple of tall Eucalyptus trees on the left.  It's quite a steep drop to the beach from here.  Just out of the corner of my eye, I caught some movement and as I looked up, I saw the silhouette of a bird that I am familiar with, but rarely see.

A Collared Kingfisher.



He was very high in the tree and had the bright sky behind him, so it was difficult to get a good shot.  I stayed for about thirty minutes, hoping that he might move to a more 'photograph friendly' spot, but he wasn't even going to move from the branch.

He twirled around to face the opposite direction a couple of times, but stayed on the same high branch until I gave up and moved on.

I decided to make a stop at the Lagoon on the way home.  It was pretty quiet there but I got a nice shot of a Honeyeater and then a lovely tranquil section of the lagoon that is usually teeming with Ibis, Spoonbills, Heron and Cormorants.



Then it was time to go home.  The sun was shining and after all the rain, it was becoming very hot and steamy.  So I found my way indoors and positioned the fan directly on me so that I could go through the photographs.

Oh, I forgot about the lovely Kookaburras at the Seat of Knowledge much earlier in the morning.


There were four kookaburras, but they were far enough apart that I couldn't fit them all in frame :(

Vegan Chickie told me that she was going to rename me the Bird Lady lol.  But really, what else is there to photograph in my little town??

I could always resort to people ... but they aren't half as accommodating as birds!

Well actually, tomorrow, I will be photographing something different.  Watch this space and you might be surprised!

Nite all.

No comments: