Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Barren Box no-go

BGWLBH worked hard today, at the top of a ladder, cleaning the top part of the walls and inside the top shelving of her built-in wardrobe.

I did very little today, besides taking photos around the garden and then sitting at my laptop editing them.

A moment in the garden.
It could be a Willy Wagtail nest or a Wren or a Finch nest.
They seem to be the most prolific around the house.
Late in the afternoon, we decided to drive out to Barren Box Swamp.

If we had researched adequately before we left, perhaps we might not have gone, because apparently there is no public access to the area unless you get permission from Murrumbidgee Irrigation, who own the area.

http://www.mfn.org.au/barrenBox.html

So even though it was disappointing that we couldn't get close to the swamp, there were some little treasures along the way and we will definitely drive out to the area again, just for the bird life along the way.

I don't know what this bird is yet.
Grey kangaroos - two with a joey in the pouch!
I love the colours in this one - real Aussie colours.
I think this is the male Nankeen Kestrel.
He was being chased by a Willy Wagtail.
These beautiful hawks and kestrels just sit quietly on the posts along the road, but we didn't notice them til we were so close that we scared them off.  We missed about five opportunities along the way ... we are slow learners lol.

I saw some Herons and Kites and Parrots too, but Barren Box information site lists many many more birds in the area.  Oh how I would LOVE to get in there and capture just a few of those birds with my camera!

So we might just contact Murrumbidgee Irrigation and find out how difficult it is to get in there .. perhaps we can park at the gate and hike our way in!

We need to check out Hermit's Cave up on the hill - I think it would be nice there just on, or after sunrise.

Anyway, it's time for me to sleep .. just a bit earlier than usual :D

Nite all.

No comments: