Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Birthday to me!

Well, ok, it's not actually my birthday yet, but what a great birthday dinner I had tonight!

There were nine of us.  Old friends from way back.  First time gathered together for about five years and my friendships with them spans twenty five years.

Some of them have been friends for much longer than that.

I couldn't believe it when everybody who I invited turned up, and what's even more amazing, is that every single one of them turned up on time!!  THAT has never happened in twenty five years!!

So many good belly laughs.  So many memories.  It was just like old times and like no time had passed at all.

I felt the love and I felt grateful and I felt lucky.

The Gang
It was such a lot of fun.

After dinner at the club, we all drove around to Miss Iconic Eighties's new home, where she provided tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages while we all discussed everything from nostalgia, to current local events, world economy etc etc etc.

Sometimes there was language flying, sometimes the music got too loud, sometimes the laughter bellowed and sometimes the debate got heated.  None of it mattered.  It was like our own little safe area where we could air our views and share our news without judgement.

Life has so radically changed for us all in the last ten years.  Some of us have lost family and friends, some of us have married, had children, moved in together, built up businesses, led protests, fought for justice, built homes, travelled the world, changed careers and developed addictions.

But tonight, all of that was forgotten and we were a bunch of friends mucking around just as we did in our twenties.

The only way it could have been a better night, is if Adoring Husband had been by my side.  That would have made it perfect.

Nite all.

No comments: