Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 220 in a Year of my Life

It's pelican time.

It's that time of year when not a lot is happening.  Nature has gone to sleep for Winter, so photographic opportunities are few and far between.

Basically, there are two options - Sunrises/Sunsets or Seabirds.

Just to mix it up - Pelicans AND Oyster Catchers!




Tonight, I made a layered veggie stack to have with our roast chicken (which I roasted myself, so that the meal would be 'gluten free')

I roasted thick slices of eggplant, red capsicum, zucchini, onion rings and sweet potato on a tray in the oven.

In a loaf tin, I put a layer of raw, shredded wombok cabbage with a thin layer of beetroot pesto on top (you could probably use that beetroot dip instead), then eggplant,  then thick slices of tomato, then roasted zucchini, spread with a thin layer of cream cheese, then a layer of red capsicum (skin removed after roasting) then a layer of rice noodles that I had soaked in hot water.

I also made a hot chilli tomato puree sauce, by blending 440g of tinned tomatoes, pouring it into a saucepan and adding a heaped teaspoon of chilli paste and half a small jar of tomato salsa (you know, the stuff you put on tacos?), a t-spoon of caster suger and about 1/4 of a cup of the chicken juices left on the bottom of the tray when I baked the chicken.  I brought that to the boil stirring occasionally.

I then put a few spoons of the tomato puree sauce over the layer of rice noodles, added the layer of roasted sweet potato and on top of that, I put a layer of stemless mushrooms and grated a small amount of tasty cheese over the top.

I pressed it down as hard as I could and then placed it in the oven at 200C for about 20mins, or until the cheese melted nicely and browned on top.

I served it up with the roast chicken and poured some of the hot chilli tomato puree sauce over the top.

It was delicious - especially because I made it up - and you know how hit and miss, made up meals can be!

I'm sorry that I didn't take photos as I made it, and then of the finished product as well - but I will next time!

Today, I am grateful for successful recipe ideas that turn out better than expected, especially with all of those vegetables, full of vitamins and minerals and healthful goodness!

Nite all.  

No comments: