Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Days Alive

Today, on his birthday, Adoring Husband has been alive for 20,819 days.

I have been alive for 19,904 days.

That's quite a lot isn't it? I've never really thought about it, but I was expecting the number to be higher.

Anyway, we should make each day count.

The bakathon began this morning ...




This cake took quite a while to make and has a LOT of ingredients.  I had to make my own date paste by soaking dates for some time in hot water and then whizzing in the blender until it became a creamy paste.

Ingredients include zucchini, walnuts, avocado, eggs, coconut flour, tapioca flour, almond flour, cream of tartare, bicarb soda, raw cacao powder, honey, vanilla extract, date paste, to name a few.

A syrup made of honey, water and coffee was brushed over each layer of the cake before the icing was added. The icing included avocado, date paste, honey, cacao powder, coconut cream, coconut oil and salt.




I actually added some whipped cream and blueberries to this, but forgot to take a photo!

Adoring Husband enjoyed a very large slice and it was similar to a brownie on the outside and then soft and moist in the middle. I liked it very much, but it was very rich .. I certainly couldn't eat a piece as big as the one AH ate!

AH spent his birthday working on the front garden, which I must say, is looking much better than it has for quite some time. There is still a little more to do there, and next he has to get the veggie garden moving out the back.

I picked a very large bucket of cherry tomatoes from the garden today, most of which, I think will go into the dehydrator for semi-dried tomatoes. The asparagus is still producing nicely too, but the lovely laying chooks have slowed down a little.

This month, our flickr group challenge is themed 'Odd One Out', so my boys at The Seat of Knowledge helped me out with this little number.


and of course, I had to get a shot like this, for future bribery and corruption purposes.


Believe me, the photo looks much better than the reality of it!!

That's about it for my day .. aside from a really nice morning tea with Lady Lynn. Everybody else was busy with life today, so we met early for a coffee together. I really enjoyed our short time together.

Here is Episode Seven of 'The Truth About Cancer' for your viewing pleasure ...



Nite all.

No comments: