Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, March 9, 2018

Happy Outcome

My mind was on another planet this morning.

I wanted everything to be perfect for my very first course.

I have trained people before. In the Public Service, I trained classrooms of staff in new work processes and new programs. I ran seminars three times a week for up to 20 people at a time educating people about their rights and obligations, about privacy and confidentiality practices and more.

But I have never designed, created and delivered a course myself.

So today was a pretty big deal!

Even more so because we are a small community and if my course sucks, the town will know about it pretty quickly, and nobody will sign up in the future and the grapevine would make my name mud in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

So this morning, I was running around like a chook with its head cut off, trying to set it all up perfectly, providing folders and pens for the participants, a plate of grapes in lieu of lollies, a jug of cold water and clean glasses.

I plugged in my laptop for emergency googling, set up some props for practicing photography, put my handouts in the right order and gathered the photographic examples.

I rushed through the supermarket to get milk for coffee and some sweet biscuits for morning tea and decided on two types, both of them gluten, egg, dairy and nut free - which in the end turned to be the perfect choice!

Fifteen minutes before the start I realised that the cold water bottle was almost empty and so was the box of filtered water, so I rushed back to the supermarket to buy a bottle of water. As I was returning to the shop, I patted myself to find the keys and suddenly realised that I had left the shop unlocked and the keys were sitting on my desk!

My head was somewhere far, far away.

This course is for three hours every Friday morning for 3 weeks, and initially I was wondering how the heck I was going to fill three hours, let alone nine! But surprisingly, the three hours went very quickly and I had the perfect amount of theory and practice to easily fill the time.

I love my class of students because they were engrossed and intrigued and happy with the information I shared today and they enthusiastically practiced their shots with my props and wandered through the shop finding other examples to practice on.

I gave them homework to complete this week, which they were very keen to do.

It was a great morning and we learned a lot about each other at the introduction part of the course and then at morning tea.

Afterwards I was incapable of doing much at all - my mental energy had run very low!

It was exciting to see our 'Intrinsic' stock arrive today (from the lady who I cried on at the fair). We unpacked it and checked it off. Tomorrow, we'll price it and creatively display it. It's just beautiful!

Now it's after 11pm and I need to rest my weary bones.

Nite all.

No comments: