Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, May 4, 2018

Just Like Old Times

For the second morning in a row, I chose to get out and about on the trike with my camera.

It was, without a doubt, a glorious morning. The weather was close to perfect with the sun shining brightly and twinkling reflectively on the high tidal waters of the river.

There were a few scattered clouds to make the sky interesting.

The birds were all out in force:

  • The current high population of lorikeets making a racket in the treetops.
  • Whistling kites perched in pairs in the tall trees lining the river bank.
  • Tawny frogmouths also in pairs snuggling each other on lower branches.
  • Plovers strutting around on the grass piercing the soil with their beaks for bugs.
  • Terns, seagulls and oyster catchers jostling for position on the sand banks near the beach.
  • Blue faced honeyeaters chasing each other through the big fig trees.
  • Kookaburras lining up on the street lamps.
  • Cormorants diving in the river for fish.
  • Galahs waddling through the long grasses feeding on the seeds.
  • Corellas trying to out-screech the lorikeets. 
  • A white bellied sea eagle soaring high over the boat ramp.
  • Not a pelican to be seen!
There were a lot of people out and about riding bikes, boating, kayaking, fishing, walking, swimming, chasing their dogs on the beach, eating their breakfasts in the park, drinking coffee at the cafe, pushing prams. Lots of smiling and laughing and chatting.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed my morning and took a lot in.

It must have been about 11.30am when I rode home and went straight into the kitchen to cook a hearty early lunch.

Chicken, pumpkin/spinach/roasted capsicum/pine nut salad and a salsa of tomato, cucumber, shallot, avocado and grape.

For dessert I made an apple crumble.

I stewed green apples with water, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice.

The crumble was a combination of raw cashews, raw macadamia nuts, raw almonds, raw walnuts combined with coconut butter, a touch of maple syrup, a pinch of salt and a couple of tablespoons of banana flour all whizzed in the food processor.

I scattered the crumble on top and then sat them under a grill until they browned slightly.

I served it with soft serve ice cream fruit whip - frozen pineapple, frozen banana, coconut cream, maple syrup, a splash of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt all blended into a smooth icy mixture.

Needless to say we didn't need much for dinner tonight!

I had a losing night at the club tonight, although I do have a keno ticket to check. You never know your luck.

It's almost 10.30pm so I'd best get some sleep. Back to the shop tomorrow!

Nite all.

No comments: