Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, January 14, 2019

Lucky Me

I have always felt lucky.

Even through the toughest of times, I felt lucky.

Through every horrific or violent or heartbreaking or devastating or soul destroying or terrifying life changing episode/experience/challenge in my life, I could find something positive and a reason to feel lucky.

Some examples ...

When Mum died, it was lucky that she didn't suffer and appeared to die peacefully.

I was lucky that my brother-in-law was with me when I found my baby dead in his basinet, because I honestly don't know what I would have done if I'd been by myself.

I was lucky that my Dad worked for such a great company that they paid my airfare from Griffith to Brisbane to be with him in his final days.

As a family, we were lucky to be on the same page when it came to making the decision to turn off Dad's life support system.

Living in Griffith as a single Mum with three kids, 1500kms from family, I was lucky to have supportive friends that I could rely on when things got really tough.

When the tornado hit town and the neighbours house landed on ours, we were lucky that we had, at the last minute, changed the layout of our house when we built it or our bedroom would have been where all the damage happened and we'd be dead right now. We were also luckier than our neighbours whose house was completely destroyed in the tornado.

We were lucky that my brother wasn't wearing a seatbelt when he had his car accident and was thrown clear, otherwise he'd have been crushed to death by the car engine which ended up in the driver's seat.

When my son was assaulted and the doctor declared that one more kick to the head would have ended his life ... I felt lucky that the 'one more kick' did not happen.

... and so the list goes on.

I don't know where I learned that - perhaps my parents who never allowed me to feel sorry for myself  - telling me to 'grow up' or 'get over it' or 'if that's the worst thing that ever happens to you, you'll be doing ok' or 'that's nothing compared to ....'

You know the drill.

I've kind of repeated the mantras to my own kids.

Sorry kids.

I was also taught to not talk about my good fortune - that it was bragging OR making other people feel less fortunate.

I've learnt that it's important to talk about your good fortune. To feel gratitude for the good luck and good things that happen. To show people that there is always the chance that good things will happen for them, that 'things' change, that sadness passes, that life goes on and there can always be something amazing around the next corner and to never give up.

Life before Adoring Husband and life with Adoring Husband are absolute poles apart.

I feel like I've stepped into a parallel universe and every day, I feel so lucky for the wonderful life that I have.

I know I've mentioned it recently and if you think I'm harping on it a bit, stop reading here, but I've gotta say that it's kind of overwhelming and I feel like the Universe needs to know that I don't take it for granted and I'm not being complacent.

Twenty years ago, I could not have imagined this life.

I could not have imagined being with a man who loves me and respects me and empowers me the way AH has.

I could not have imagined the circle of wonderful women who support me so completely with all of my many and varied projects and challenges and ventures. They fill my heart with happiness and appreciation for their existence in my world. You know who you are and if you are wondering whether you are one of them ... then the answer is 'yes you are'.

Through those horrid teenage years when my imagination foresaw all manner of dreadful outcomes for my children, I could not have imagined the way they have grown into strong, independent decent human beings who make me feel proud to be their mother.

As a public servant dedicated to her stressful job and painfully striving to be the best worker on the planet, I could not have imagined creating something as wonderful as The Happy Abode or ever coming to the realisation that life is what you make it and that stress is a learned and unnecessary feeling that can be banished in favour of more productive feelings and emotions.

I couldn't have imagined that a mismatch like The Motivator and I could form such a strong foundation for a relationship that combines business and friendship so successfully. I'm sure there are times when we could both forehead slap each other, but overall, we are an AMAZEBALLS team and have the potential to conquer the world!

I could not have imagined that my friendship with BGWLBH would still be going strong. Our history shows that we have struggled but strengthened our bond through some tough and some fabulous times but our relationship has stood the test of time and I am proud of us for not giving up on each other. I love our friendship and I look forward to what the future holds for us. The best is yet to be!

I could not have imagined this beautiful home that is still standing in spite of the neglect that AH and I pile upon it! There is plenty of love to keep the walls strong, it sits in a fabulous neighbourhood inside a wonderful community and we've created a perfect little haven that caters to all of our needs and desires. It is our sanctuary and we love it.

I could not have imagined being this happy or feeling so overwhelmingly lucky to be in this position at this stage of my life.

Thank you Universe for providing all of this for me. Your generosity has not gone unnoticed and thank you for showing me that it's ok to feel like I deserve this! I am worthy.

I am also tired.

Nite all. 🤪

No comments: