Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Peace Light and Love

A very opinionated farmer posted a long winded comment on FB about all the young people marching for climate change.

He began his rant with this ...

*TALKING OR WALKING ?

Give up mobile phones or devices
Do not use Air conditioning
Walk or bike from within 10 k of destination
Do not drink any bottled liquids
Buy unpackaged goods/foods

What are these? These are just a few ways the kids who protested yesterday can actually do something themselves about their impact on the earth.
BUT THEY WILL NOT. Nor will their puffed with pride parents.*

His rant continued to until it created a post four times longer than what I've shared here. It was followed by lots of other older people supporting his rant and bagging out young people from every angle.

He doesn't (and nor do the others) know any of these young people, but they choose to put them in a box and criticise not only the kids, but their parents as well.

So, in all my misguided wisdom, I responded with this ...

"Yeah let’s bag out the kids who are trying to make a difference. Just remember, we can’t all do everything, but we can all do something."

I figured somebody might respond, so I prepared myself to NOT get into an argument, but instead respond with love.
  • Love and light to you.
  • Peace and love to you.
  • Feel the love.
  • Warmest hugs from afar.
  • Wishing you love and kindness.
He responded with this ... "I have seen people put up arguments that have valid debating points. I have also seen your inanities. Its an age old technique, believe me you are not the first. It highlights someone that is unable to validly refute those points and thus tries to make out they are morally the better person and by extension anyone else is lesser. I repeat, not original, not that clever, extremely pompous, and quite la'ughable. I know what your reply will be because you tread a well worn and tiresome path."

(My thoughts which I did not share - Pot - Kettle - Black)

and then he provided this ... "not original, not clever, pompous, and oh so passe"

Somebody else responded with "Roz is cute"

To which the farmer replied "Roz is not bad I suppose.... if you sorta screw your eyes up a little and just glance quickly. I prefer the more thoughtful sincere articulate types myself"

So it seems that you cop a gob full if you do argue and you. cop a gob full if you don't. In fact, spreading love and light seems to trigger some unexpected frustration and anger from the masses - he wasn't the only one who commented or got frustrated with my responses!

It was an interesting experience.

I learned years ago to NOT comment on posts like this and to NOT read the comments because social media is full of 'effed' up people and I want my FB feed to be my happy place.

I've either blocked or hidden friends or family who constantly share disrespectful, bigoted, racist, sexist or angry content on their pages. Out of 286 friends, that leaves me in regular contact with about 30 of them.

Today's experiment turned into an excellent opportunity to practice some of the 'powers' that I've been learning about in the meditation classes. 

The power to withdraw - which is the ability to step back and disengage.
The power to pack up - which is the ability to bring things to an end and stop wasteful thinking.
The power to tolerate - the ability to respond to external and internal events positively, yet not be affected by them.

I probably won't put myself in that position again on social media. Self inflicted I know, but I obviously triggered something inside those people and it escalated into something I wasn't expecting.

You live and learn.

Aside from that, I had another uneventful and unproductive day. I don't even know what happened to my morning - it just disappeared before I even knew it.

I had a quick swim this afternoon while Adoring Husband went for a drive to get us a coffee. In that short time, probably 30 minutes, I took myself through a quick journey and then did a brief meditation. The mind is an amazing and intriguing thing.


I spent the afternoon listening to one of my audible books and cooked a corned silverside with cabbage and mash for dinner.

My hope is that tomorrow, my motivation returns, because I have a lot to do around the house and I'd really like to feel that my time away from the shop was at least partly used to reduce the housework load.

I forgot to mention earlier in the week that my number one father-in-law, Gentleman Jim, turned 90 on the 13th March. Considering that almost 40 years ago, he suffered a heart attack that scared the wits out of us, turning 90 is some achievement. I suspect that Granymus should take a lot of the credit for that! 

Happy birthday Gentleman Jim 🎈 I'm sorry that I don't have any chocolate coated ginger for you on this occasion.

To everyone else, I hope that you all enjoyed your weekend.

Nite all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thoughts of chocolate coated ginger for the Birthday! He received a huge amount of lollies, as you guessed but NO chocolate coated ginger. I dropped plenty of hints about it though, so it may still happen. BUT M saw to it that we did have fish n chips, as he requested. I can np linger go out so I couldn’t get the ginger myself. It is amazing to think that 7 years? Ago he had open heart surgery and survived! Love from us grannymus