Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, November 11, 2019

As Promised

Ok, so I have gathered most of my information about “lectins” through researching and living the Paleo lifestyle and more recently via Dr Steven Gundry who was a Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Heart Surgeon until he realised that the human body can prevent the damage that he was working so hard on repairing.

He now focuses on diet and lifestyle while performing all kinds of research and scientific tests to prove his health theories.

Most of you know that Adoring Husband and I decided to go Paleo in late 2013 just after he was diagnosed with PD, high blood pressure and GERD (Gastroesopageal Reflux Disease).

In the first 3 months AH lost 17kgs and I lost 13kgs. AH’s blood pressure returned to normal and the GERD disappeared.

Removing foods with lectins from our diet was part of the Paleo plan.

There is a long list of foods with high lectin content which includes tomatoes, capsicum, eggplant, potatoes, squash, zucchini, goji berries, beans, peanuts, wheat, dairy and eggs. Wholegrains are off the list - pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, peanuts, cashews, oats quinoa, rye, barley,buckwheat, corn, rice and spelt.

So ... what are lectins???

Lectins are microscopic proteins that plants evolved to defend themselves from predators, including insects and animals (that includes humans!). They are essentially indigestible and have the unique ability to increase the permeability of your intestines. That means that they can pass through the wall of your gut, and will be treated as foreign invaders by your immune system. This causes an inflammatory response, which can set the stage for a host of diseases, as well as weight gain.

The people who have followed Dr Gundry’s dietary guidelines have reversed diseases/conditions like heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes, all forms of arthritis, blood pressure problems, auto-immune diseases, digestive issues and more.

Just like Paleo, there are tens of thousands of people who will tell you their stories of going from chronic illness to good health.

There also many stories of people who tell you that it didn’t work for them, but they are the people who did not commit long term or only made a half hearted attempt.

With Paleo, it takes the body 10 weeks to release all the yuck from a life time of bad eating and drinking and reset itself ready to repair and thrive on the new lifestyle.

Since we opened The Happy Abode 2 years ago, our commitment to Paleo has swung and wavered wildly and our well-being has definitely suffered for it. We’ve recently talked about making a new commitment to our health because all those so-called symptoms of ‘old age’ are creeping back and we don’t like them!

We know how strong, vibrant and energised we felt while we were focused before and we want that feeling back. AH has gained 10kgs and I’ve gained 3.5kgs and we are feeling it in all the worst ways - even to the point of needing afternoon naps!

I’ve talked before about how the human body replaces itself. In a healthy human, the stomach lining replaces itself every 4 days, the skin every 35 days, the liver takes 6 weeks to replace itself and the skeleton every 3 months, just to mention a few.

That’s a healthy human. One that is fed lots of nutrients full of vitamins and minerals, NOT damaging processed foods, toxic chemicals, poisons like alcohol and synthetic drugs and I could give you a list a mile long of everything that damages your body and hinders the healing process.

The first thing I’m doing for myself is removing the lectins from my diet. There are really only 5 on that list that I need to remove and they are tomatoes, capsicum, potatoes, cashews and dairy (coffee). Those five have been almost my staples, especially tomatoes of which I was eating 2 or 3 every day.

The rest on the list haven’t been in our pantry for a very long time

It will be interesting to monitor the changes in how I’m feeling.

Just a quick mention that Google is now a Pharmaceutical Company, so any searches that you do related to health will be directed to mainstream medical information and it will be more difficult to find a wide variation of natural or alternative health treatments. Ugh!

So that’s just some basic and very summarised information on lectins and how relevant they are to our health, or lack there of.

I’m off to bed now.

Oh and I painted these today!







Nite all.

No comments: