Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Other Happy Outcomes

Not so psychotic dog, Colli, will be 17 yrs old at the end of this year.

She is 95% blind, 98% deaf, has arthritis in her hips and legs, a dodgy heart that requires daily medication, has very few teeth remaining in her mouth and absolutely detests anybody touching her face and mouth.

Because she’s blind, when she eats, she can’t judge how close her mouth is to the food and often ends up with food all over her face. When the hair on her face is long, the food dries and congeals, smells and looks bad BUT she refuses to let me trim her face.

A few days ago (I think it was Sunday) I wrapped her tight in a towel so she couldn’t move her legs or body, lay her on her back and attempted for an hour, to trim the hair around her mouth.

She tossed her head around, she shrieked and screamed like a banshee, moaned and groaned like she was giving birth and snapped at me with her gummy mouth.

I told her that I had all day so she should just give in and allow me to do it.

In actual fact I gave up after an hour with not even a modicum of success!! 

The neighbours were concerned, the neighbour’s dogs were whining in sympathy, Adoring Husband was stressing in the lounge room and BGWLBH came outside a number of times to check that everything was ok.

I conceded defeat.

Today, we took her to the vet for a checkup. 

We needed a new script for her heart meds and the vets needs to check her over every six months.

I pleaded my case to Dr Amanda and she very obligingly clipped Colli’s nails and then attempted to trim her face.

Note the word ‘attempted’.

In the end it took the vet, the vet nurse and the receptionist to hold Colli down and trim all of the hair from her eyes, down her snout and under her chin.

Colli struggled and screamed and shrieked and moaned and groaned and tossed and turned and fought like her life depended on it! Just for good measure, she peed all over the vet!

What a drama!!

Now she looks like a poodle with a Shih Tzu’s body.

Dr Amanda was very happy with Colli’s heart stating that it sounds strong with a good rhythm. She gave us some cream for one of her eyes which is a bit weepy and offered a solution for the arthritis if the powder that we just bought doesn’t work as expected.

We currently have her on green lip mussel, hemp oil and this new powder. We’ll know in another ten days whether the powder is effective.

Adoring Husband purchased a lovely jade pendant for me to celebrate 19 years since we met face to face (after spending 3 months chatting online and over the phone) for the first time - under the big clock at Central Station in Sydney.


I can picture that meeting as if it happened yesterday 😊

The other big drama was BGWLBH having a flat tyre at the Lions Park and being lucky enough to find the local constabulary nearby and willing to rescue this damsel in distress! They took a while, but eventually changed the tyre and gave her directions to the nearest tyre centre.

We were able to get into The Bay and replace the tyre easily enough.

Chicklet, my oldest grand daughter, is eleven years old and today she spent thirty minutes creating this …


I think she might have some talent there! It would take me longer to create something less impressive. I feel quite proud!

I’m now exhausted so …

Nite all.

No comments: