Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Choc Lovin’

Found this today on the web … 

Is it too good to be true? Is the hype real?! Could cacao really be one of the most nutrient dense, essential mineral rich, chemically complex foods on the planet? And yet be so decadent and delicious?!?

I started drinking whole bean cacao without any idea about the health benefits. I loved the taste and the way it made me feel. 

When I heard it might be a superfood I wanted to do my own research. Being a postgrad student has its perks - access to all the international scientific journals containing the cutting edge research on cacao. 

The science is impressive, and extensive. For example...

🫐 cacao is full of antioxidant flavanoids (by weight it contains forty times more than blueberries)! Antioxidants boost our immune system by preventing cell damage, which in turn protects against heart disease, increases beneficial gut microbes, and helps with disease prevention.

💗 cacao noticeably helps our brains produce dopamine (the “feel-good chemical”, serotonin (the “happy hormone”, anandamide (the “bliss molecule”), and phenylethylamine (the “love drug”).

🥦 cacao is the highest plant-based source of magnesium and iron. Magnesium is chronically deficient in western diets. It helps relax our nervous system, and reduce anxiety levels (among other things).

🥛 cacao contains more calcium than cows milk (!!) Helping build strong bones and support the functioning of the heart, muscles and nervous system.

☕️ unlike caffeine, which is a nervous system stimulant (= Jitters! Anxiety! Mental agitation!) cacao’s remarkable stimulant theobromine acts on the cardiovascular system. It is a vasodilator, meaning it opens up our blood vessels, helping blood flow, relaxing our muscles, and reducing blood pressure. (Beta-blockers, used to treat anxiety, are vasodilators).

*****************************************************************

This is the 2nd article I’ve found regarding the benefits of cacao - the other was from Paleo Mom who’s a scientist and provides links to the studies she finds and she does her own studies as well.

I use cacao a lot.

It’s not even lunch time. I’m still in bed and it’s a lovely grey rainy day - perfect for staying in bed - I may just stay here ALL day. But I’m hungry so I might get up to eat.

I plan on watching the new season of Wild Lotus today.

I finished watching The Vatican Girl last night - which was frustrating as hell but I won’t hit you with spoilers in case you want to watch it.

That’s it from me today and I can’t even say ‘nite all’ because it’s only 11am!




Morning all.

No comments: