Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder

I was feeling a bit out of sorts this morning.  Not unwell.  More like 'out of sync' with my world.  Almost like I'd lost a connection.

So my time at the Seat of Knowledge didn't feel quite as relaxed as it should and I was itching to leave there much earlier than usual.

As I climbed onto my trike, I didn't feel compelled to head in any particular direction and as I attempted to make a decision, all I wanted to do was go home.

This is very unusual, as you well know.

The highlight of my every day is the morning ride around town searching for photographic opportunities.

But not today.

I was reminded by one of my boys that his wife was still waiting for me to photograph her orchids which were now in full flower.

I had arranged twice in the last week to do it and then forgot to go, so this was my last chance before the flowers began to die, and that would leave my friend feeling disappointed.

She wants a copy of the photograph to give her mother for Mother's Day.

So I did some quick grocery shopping, dropped them off at home and then rode on to visit some orchids.



They are quite spectacular and a beautiful colour.

On the way home, I was riding along the footpath, and almost squished a snail.  As I swerved to miss it, I remembered that I had 'snail' on my 104 list, so I turned around and took my camera out.

While I was crawling around on the footpath trying to get a good angle on the snail, it occurred to me that I could pick the damn thing up, take it home and place it in any position that I wanted for a photograph (doh!).

So I picked myself, and the snail, up off the ground and we made our way home, where I forced him to be my model for about 30 minutes.  This was the result.

Snail - Photo 70 of 104


I've never found snails to be attractive creatures, but today, I saw snails in a whole new light.  They really have some lovely detail and textures and are very interesting to watch move around.  I like how the photos turned out.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Some may find the orchids boring and the snail beautiful ... who knows?!

That was the extent of my photography for the day.

I hope that I find the motivation and enthusiasm to do more tomorrow.

Adoring Husband and I are going to the movies tomorrow, so maybe we can find something to photograph in town.

This months challenge for our photography group is 'wide angle'.  Perhaps we can work on that.

Enough for now.

Nite all. 

No comments: