Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Driving Rain

We went driving in the driving rain to the other end of The Bay for the birthday lunch today.

Firstly, we started at the Seat of Knowledge, where BGWLBH asked the boys "How long do you think we have til that rain hits us?", to which they replied "Nah you've got plenty of time.  It's not going to rain yet."

Within twenty minutes the heavens opened just a little and gradually it got heavier until BGWLBH and I were triking and walking home in a steady drizzle.

Luckily, we had plenty of time for a hot shower before getting ready for our lunch date.

We drove to Aussie H's house first to pick her up and then made our way into town.  It was miserable weather and horrible to drive in because the road has so many places where water pools and makes it tricky.

But BGWLBH is a competent and careful driver in all situations, so I didn't feel unsafe at any time.

We arrived at our destination much earlier than the agreed time, so we signed in, found a table, bought drinks and were quite settled in when the others arrived twenty minutes later than the agreed time!

I was disappointed to discover that The Boat Club doesn't have a gluten free menu, so I risked steak and salad.  I also had a lemonade and two glasses of wine.  Something that I ate or drank did not agree with me ... so there was gluten in SOMETHING!

The discomfort is quite intense, in waves, and I'm going to bed early so that this passes quickly and I can wake up refreshed and feeling better tomorrow.

The weather seems to have eased now and we three are going to The Bay tomorrow to run some errands and see the Chicklet family (can't wait).

I had a nice moment this evening when one of my photos triggered a happy childhood memory for The Nikonian.  Even though it wasn't a great photo, it's now special because it gave her a happy, warm and fuzzy feeling.  I really love that!  Sometimes, that's even better than a fabulous photo that everyone wants to compliment.

A couple more photos from the rock star road trip ...



... and a couple of potential bird shots.  Disappointing, but oh what could have been!



On Sunday, we will be experimenting with shots for the 'frozen in mid-air' challenge, which closes on 28th May.  We'll be cutting it fine!

I almost need toothpicks to hold my eyelids open ... so I'm outta here.  Let the driving rain be gone tomorrow!

Nite all.

No comments: