Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, May 21, 2012

Menopausal Madness

My computer is now hospitalised **sad face**

He doesn't know how much work needs to be done, or if he can even fix it **sad face**

He will let me know tomorrow, how much he expects it will cost with parts and labour, and then Adoring Husband and I will determine whether it's worth doing, or if we are better off getting a new one.

All I really care about are the holiday photos and it shouldn't be a problem retrieving them.

I miss my computer **sad face**

Tomorrow will be catch up time with the ladies at morning tea and then the most exciting part of the day will be lunch with Vegan Chickie, the Bare-chested Chef and Chicklet, who are all coming here ... finally, I get to see them after almost 6 weeks!

I can hear Adoring Husband snoring through the walls tonight ... not really inspiring me to go to bed, but tomorrow will be a big day, so I need some sleep.

Speaking of inspiring ... I wish I had something more interesting to write tonight, but I am too tired to think!

Oh!  Just an interesting little thing that I've noticed recently...

**warning to males reading this - I am about to talk women's business, so step away from the monitor if you are squeamish about women's business**

I began my 'strictly' gluten free diet approximately one month before I flew to Griffith - so that means I have been gluten free for about two and a half months. 

Prior to this diet change, you may recall that I was complaining of all the menopausal symptoms that I was experiencing ... I calculated that of the 34 symptoms that are associated with menopause, I was experiencing 36 of them!

All of the physical symptoms, like hot flushes, dizziness, nausea, claminess, itchy skin, heart palpitations, aching joints, swollen joints, fluid retention, cravings, digestive problems, sore breasts, bloating and burning feet have all either disappeared or eased dramatically.

I still have mood swings, irritability, memory lapses and difficulty in concentrating, loss of libido and brittle nails - but it seems that my menstrual cycle is regulating itself again and these are occuring as PMS symptoms for the week leading up to my cycle.

It's very strange, but the change is incredibly noticeable to me - especially the hot flushes, waves of nausea and the intense digestive problems which have all gone (my digestive problems recur when I accidentally eat gluten).

I almost feel like a new person AND, as an added bonus, I have lost 3 kgs!

I think I'll stick with this gluten free thing.  I thought this information might be interesting to my female friends out there who are struggling with their own little batch of menopausal symptoms.

When I say 'strictly' gluten free ... you have to check the ingredients of EVERYTHING - it's worth checking out the Coeliac website to get all the information that you need ... there is even an app for the phone that lists all the bad ingredients/additives that you have to avoid.

It may not be for everyone, but boy I've noticed a huge difference!

Enough of this frivolity.  Once again, no photos to share and now it's sleep time for me.

Nite all.  

No comments: