Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The Next Fair

Honestly the last two days have been so long and so full and so busy, I can't even remember the order that we did things, but this is how I think it happened ...

We returned to the Reed Gift Fair this morning to find the Serenade stand. It was the most difficult stand to order from ... so many beautiful bags and wallets to choose from, we struggled to limit ourselves and ended up spending our entire budget in one hit!

Should I say that we have actually tripled our budget over the two days! OMG

After that stand, we went in search of the stand with those lovely silver chains that have been so popular. I searched for it yesterday to no avail and I couldn't remember the name of the company, so I was looking for the same layout as last year. It was no wonder I never found it, the guy who owns the business decided to do something completely different this year!

I must have walked past it three times yesterday and not recognised it!

Anyway, I finally found it and grabbed a business card and grabbed every chain that they had available, spending yet another fortune.

Next was an amazing company selling beautiful, yet reasonably priced watches for both men and women. Silver, Gold and Rose Gold with really lovely bands and styles. We are now concerned about display space and are wondering how we are going deal with that dilemma.

From there, we decided that it was time to head out to the other gift fair. It was already 11.30am and we walked out to the shuttle bus area to find a bus was leaving in 5 minutes - excellent timing.

It took 30 minutes to shuttle from one fair to the other, and unfortunately, we sat in the seats over the front wheels and within 15 mins I felt like I was going to throw up, so we moved back a few rows, which felt so much better.

When we arrived, we immediately went in search of The Motivator's friends, who had a stand there. We found them quickly and spent about 30 mins chatting and looking at their beautiful wares, before wandering off to check out the other stands.

We stood in the middle of the enormous building and said "Let the Universe take us to where we need to be" and began walking.

The Universe took us to an amazing stand called 'Intrinsic' and a lot of you might recognise the products ...

The gentleman working the stand told us about the products and showed us some of the lines and The Motivator asked "Did your mother design all of this?"

He replied "No! My wife." and pointed to a young lady standing across the way.

She immediately walked over and said hello. I tried to say how much I admired her work and out of nowhere, I burst into tears!! I was a blubbering wreck and I have absolutely no idea why or where that came from! So embarrassing.

This woman's name was Adele Basheer and she wrapped her arms around me and gave the longest, warmest most comforting hug that I've had for a long time. She was so beautiful and kind and then spent the next hour with us talking about her dream for her business and why she does what she does. All through the conversation, I struggled to hold it together - I just felt so much love emanating from her and felt that she genuinely wanted in some small way to change the world and make it just a little bit better.

In the end, we ordered a starter pack and I can't wait for her products to arrive and for us to display them prominently in our shop. She really was a beautiful soul and I love her work.

We went searching for some food after that and found the last GF offering as the food carts packed up - today was the last day for this particular fair.

We said our farewells to The Motivator's friends and caught the bus back to the Reed Gift Fair, where we walked around for yet another 90 minutes and found even more beautiful products - which we did NOT purchase, but took the details so that we can purchase in the future.

One funny thing happened - we were looking at the Oasis line of drink bottles and flasks, when a young man from the stand began chatting with us and giving us price lists and catalogues, when he asked where we were from and we told him the name of our town. He said "Oh I know that town! My Grandfather lives there!"

So I asked him who his Grandfather is and discovered that he lives right around the corner from me! We've had drag races between him in his mobility cart and me on my trike! What a small world it is. This young gentleman will come visit our shop the next time he comes to town.

We finally dragged our tired aching bodies back to the motel room, where The Motivator had a power nap (ten minutes) before freshening up and heading out to meet a couple of girlfriends for a social catch up. I was supposed to join them, but honestly, my body felt like it had been hit by a truck. I ached from the inside to the outside and couldn't bear the thought of moving another inch, let alone attempting to be friendly and social.

I think that the fact that I only had 3 hours sleep last night didn't help. I don't know why I couldn't sleep but I just lay there for three hours. My body was aching and I was cramping up and I felt really uncomfortable. Finally I fell asleep some time after 3 am and my alarm went off at 6am.

So I'm feeling rather battered and I wonder if my body is trying to fight off some kind of virus because I certainly don't feel myself.

On that note, I'm going to sign off and attempt to get some healing sleep.

We fly home tomorrow after our whirlwind shopping trip, and even though we totally blew our budget, we feel incredibly happy with our purchases and with the contacts that we've made. There are certainly fun times ahead!

Nite all.

No comments: