Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Day Nineteen of Chicklet Holiday

Ok, so just to quickly correct my 'dinosaurs are fictional' message in yesterday's blog post ... you know, I'm under a lot of pressure and the responsibility is weighing upon me ... not just being a babysitting grandmother, but also as a blogger LOL.


Forgive me.

Today was a much better day and our moods were much lighter - although I was incredibly tired after being woken up three times during the night. I expected a rough night after such a volatile day and I made sure we took it easy today.

We did some work on the cave, played on the iPad, and made firm friends with Jack, the psychotic dog.



Who knew such a friendship would form?

She calls him 'Little Buddy'.

We ate lots of nourishing fresh food.

Chicklet made up a game - we had to tell a joke or a riddle that had some kind of food in it and if the other person laughed, we both had to eat whatever food the joke was about.

The food that she has talked about disliking the most while she's been here is tomato, so I made lots of tomato jokes.

  1. Why did the tomato blush? Because she saw the salad dressing
  2. How do you fix a broken tomato? Tomato paste
  3. Why is a tomato round and red? Because if it was long and green and skinny, it would be a bean
  4. What is red and goes up and down? A tomato in an elevator
She didn't 'get' them, but giggled anyway.

The food that I have talked about disliking the most is sugar, so she made up a riddle about sugar.

What did the lemon say to the sugar?

The look on her face when she asked the question was priceless.

Aside from her peanut butter (which contains sugar), and despite pleading with me every time she enters a shop, she hasn't had any sugar since she arrived and obviously the thought of getting some sugar as a result of me laughing at this joke was sending her brain into a flutter.

Her eyes were wide and sparkling and the giggling smile as she asked the question sent me into hysterical laughter - you know the uncontrollable giggles that give you cramps in your ribs and tears in your eyes?

She laughed out loud and squealed "I haven't even told you the punch line yet!! Why are you laughing??"

I was laughing so hard, I couldn't even answer her!

Finally, I settled down and said "If you were clever, you could have told me the punch line while I was laughing so hard and you would have won!"

She looked at me with disappointed realisation. "Ok. I'm going to ask you again."

That same excited look came on her face as she asked me "What did the lemon say to the sugar?"

It triggered the giggles again - and what made my giggles even worse, was knowing that I had just tipped her off at how to win this riddling competition and that made my giggles even more uncontrollable.

Her answer was "I am healthier than you are."

NOT even funny!! But she caught me mid giggle and I just couldn't stop!!

She won.

Excitedly, she declared "I know exactly the sugar that you have to eat and we will go to the shop tomorrow to get it!!"

So I took her jar of peanut butter out of the pantry and declared right back "Peanut butter has sugar in it! Watch this!!" I took a teaspoon and scooped a little out of the jar and ate it. "There!! I've eaten sugar! Ha ha!"

She was left speechless and look of shock and disappointment was almost enough to set me off again.

She was surprisingly accepting though.

We had fun in the bath and I used Epsom salts and essential oils called 'calm and secure' to hopefully assist her to sleep through the night. Time will tell.

It's now 11pm so I'm off to bed to catch a couple of hours sleep before I hear the little whisper next to my ear "Excuse me BozzyWozzy"

Nite all.

No comments: