Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Far Too Productive

After a solid eight hours of wonderful deep sleep last night, I woke at 7.30am, bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to get productive.

BGWLBH and I had our usual meeting at the Lions Park with the art girls. Two hours of laughter, gossip and story telling which is always fun. It was quite chilly and I wore knitted leggings with a poncho and boots so I was pretty cozy.

We all went our separate ways at about 11.30am and BGWLBH and I checked for the mail before walking/pedalling home.

It was after 1pm when we sat down to curried egg or tuna avocado lettuce wraps for lunch.

After lunch we began to fill one raised garden bed with layers of cardboard, grass clippings, hedge trimmings, dried leaves etc. We still need some more organic matter like sticks, twigs and leaf matter before adding the soil and then the plants.

We placed the little compost bucket in the middle of the bed and filled it with scraps from the kitchen, so we are on our way.

Next, I planted ‘Petula’, the passionfruit vine against the fence on the western side of the house. I used one of these to dig a decent hole and loosen the soil.


Of course AH had to give me safety lessons on how to use it and not break my wrist. I almost broke my wrist anyway 😳 but tonight there is no residual pain or injury so I survived!

Next was ‘Pawl Pawl’, the pawpaw tree.

Last of all, I got AH to drill some drainage holes in the bottom of a big white plastic tub bucket, layered some pebbles, added garden soil and then potting mix to plant my blueberry bush which I named ‘Fats’ after Fats Domino who sang “Blueberry Hill”.

On the advice of BGWLBH I welcomed them all with a little loving chat so that they know what I expect from them.

There is still much to do in and with the raised garden beds, but we will get there.

I did not wear gloves and it took a few scrubs to get my hands clean, but I don’t mind, because it’s all part of the ‘grounding’ process and it’s very healthy to get your hands dirty - lots of good bacteria to help strengthen the immune system.

I decided to try some textured art.

It’s a lot harder than you think. This stuff is the same texture as pavlova meringue before you cook it so it’s not easy to manipulate. I think I’ll need a LOT of practise before I get this right.


BGWLBH and I drove to the butcher to get some protein for dinner. $43 for 12 little lamb cutlets! $10 for a small tray of green beans (not enough for 3 people) and a small handful of broccolini. Let’s hope our garden starts producing soon!

Dinner was delicious.

It’s been a big day and I’m feeling weary, especially after a nice cup of sleepy tea.

Another horror story from Australia

Nite all.

No comments: