Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Not so Super Saturday

Today marked the 14th year since my Mum passed. I felt a bit sad at times and while I was alone in the shop, I spoke to her.

As usual, she didn't listen. I think she's ignoring me because my life is good. I think she's spending more time with other, more needy family members ... just as she did in life really.

It's been a while since I received a Mum sign or maybe I just haven't recognised them lately. Who knows.

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge the date.

As for The Happy Abode, eighteen people came through the doors today (yes I kept count) and not a single sale.

What's going on?

I feel the need to Feng Shui the joint, burn some sage, make the brass bowl sing, bring in an exorcist, perform a spell or two and do some chanting!!

In reality, every business except the cafe are complaining about how quiet this week has been, so I won't take it personally. Obviously the people's priorities were fish and chips this week!

It gave me the opportunity to do some more clearing and re-organising. I rearranged the display on the main table and moved the chairs and some boxes to the back room for The Fisher King to pick up before Wednesday.

There were a lot of males through the shop this week and all of them were up for a chat while their wife or girlfriend looked around.

Experience tells me that women don't spend money when their husband's are with them or if they do, they always firstly ask permission and then if there is a choice to make, will always choose the item that their husband likes best.

Women class themselves as the least important one of the team OR they are trying to make their partner feel like their opinion is important to them. Same same really.

If they're here on holidays, the woman often returns alone a few days later to buy something, but sometimes they're only here for the day or passing through, so I never see them again.

It's strange that women of all generations don't feel empowered enough to spend joint finances on their own personal wishes/needs/desires. Men will always prioritise 'spending' differently to women, and women always accept that ... even if they disagree with it.

It's something that I've always known, but it has definitely been reinforced since opening the shop and I've had many discussions with women about the phenomenon. Almost all of them willingly admit that they can't openly spend money on themselves because their husbands hold the purse strings and have set/strong ideas on how the money should be spent.

Most of these women also have a sneaky kitty that their husbands don't know about.

Sadly, it's a thing. It shouldn't be, but it is.

If there are any men out there reading this ... and I know of two (you know who you are) I expect that you will respect this 'secret women's business'! Never to be repeated out loud!

Unless ... it's to tell your wife that because you have now been awakened, it's important for her to know that she is free to spend as she pleases.

😍🤩😁

That being said ... it took a long time for Adoring Husband to convince me that what's ours is ours. He may be sorry now that he did!

I was well trained by previous partners to hand my financial power over to them too.

As for the remainder of my day, I had a lovely afternoon with friends watching the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' movie, drinking vodka and tonic (only one), munching on delicious nibbles and playing with cute puppies.

I was home with enough time to cook up a chicken curry with papadums for AH's dinner.

My belly was full enough with the afternoon's delights, but I still found room for an icy pole.

It's now 9pm and I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow, spending the morning in bed enjoying the cool Autumn air and catching up on some reading/studying/youtube art and anything else that takes my fancy.







I hope you enjoy your Sunday.

Nite all.

No comments: