Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Catch Up

I have a new recipe book.

"Eat Yourself Beautiful" by Lee Holmes.

Apparently you can get it cheaper at Kmart and Big W - for around $20.

The recipes are quick and easy and focus on anti-inflammatory foods.  Lots of gluten free, wheat free, sugar free, dairy free and vegetarian recipes. It also has lots of interesting information at the front of the book explaining which foods to avoid and why, alternative sweeteners, detoxing, good fats, vitamins and minerals, meal plans and a shopping list.

I made my first recipe out of it today.  Sweet Potato Hash.

The basic recipe:

1 Large sweet potato, peeled and grated
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of Himalayan salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 organic eggs, lightly whisked
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
40g (half a cup) grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 220C and grease a baking tray with the olive oil.
In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potato, onion, cumin, salt pepper and eggs.
Use your hands to squeeze out any excess moisture and spread the mixture over the baking tray. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the mixture and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until crispy.
Remove from the oven, cut into 4 large slices and serve hot.

I forgot to take a photo.

I made this for lunch with some chicken maryland and then reheated the hash to have with dinner. It's not so nice reheated .. a bit dry, so I recommend you eat it all at the first sitting.

I also think it would be nice with some bacon chopped through it OR served with either chopped baby spinach or rocket (or both together) sprinkled over it and a dollop of sour cream.

I think Happy Harry would like this recipe, considering his new love for sweet potato.

This afternoon, I had catch up drinks with Woman of Many Talents, who has been away travelling and also with Mrs Bucket, who will be moving away this year.  A couple of other friends, The Dog Walker and Goldilocks joined us briefly too.

It was a nice afternoon.

Adoring Husband spent the day in Gympie at some SES training, so I was able to squeeze in some study time this morning too.

The only disappointing part of the day was when my football team lost to New Zealand - bugger!

I'm excited that Wimbledon Tennis Championships start this Monday, but I have 3 assignments due in three weeks, so sadly, I'm going to have to prioritise and NOT stay up all night watching tennis.

It's rapidly heading towards 1am, so I'm off to bed.

Nite all.


No comments: