Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

What a Stinker

Today was a stinker of a day.

I woke to the sound of heavy rain this morning, which was lovely and very much needed, and I used it as an excuse to laze in bed for an hour or so, not that I EVER need an excuse! But the rain made it hot and steamy and muggy and humid. Blurgh!

Even though I began the day with enthusiasm and good intentions, it seems the universe was against me and my productivity levels were way down on yesterday's.

While I was at the stage of setting up shop, I came to a standstill when I realised that I had not photographed any of the jewellery to display on the site. I figured that today was as good a day as any to get that job ticked off the list.

I spent half an hour using my camera to photograph the pieces against the white desk, but I discovered that the camera's focusing mechanism is not working. I tried two different lenses and hit the same problem.

The light just wasn't right, but then I had an epiphany! I remembered that I actually own a light box. I bought it specifically for this kind of photography! So off I went in search of the light box, trying to remember the last time that I saw it and wondering where I should look first.

I looked in the spare room first without success, so I decided that before I wasted too much time, I would ask Adoring Husband if he knew where it was. That was a good move, because he did know exactly where it was and led me straight to it.

It had been tucked neatly between the kitchen cabinet and the filing cabinet that holds the printer. I'm pretty sure that it has been there for about three years. Maybe more!

So I took it into my workspace and opened it up, to discover that it had become a nesting ground for cockroaches. Ugh. What a mess. I'm not even going to describe the state that it was in.

I walked out of my room and slumped on the lounge chair next to Adoring Husband telling him my tale of woe. He said "Can't you just clean it?"

Yes I can and so I did.

"I will not let this beat me!!" I fist pumped the air as I walked out of the room.

After cleaning it as best as I could, I set it up on my desk and attempted a few shots. The camera was still failing me. The next best thing is my phone camera!




Clearly, my photography needs work. After thirty minutes of playing with the phone camera, I was dripping with perspiration, so I gave up for another day. I will try outside with better light tomorrow. I think the rings will look nice reflected in the glass of the outside table. A bit of experimenting won't go astray.

I spent some time itemising the jewellery, and then realised that I don't have any boxes for presenting and sending them, so time was spent online searching out some prices on those.

There is always something new to go on the 'to do' list!

I had a short but lovely visit from Woman of Many Talents today. We spent about half an hour catching up. It's been a few months since we saw each other so both of us had plenty of news to share.

Before I sign off, I'd like to thank Rebel Mardi for being my long distance 'quality control' person today. Big hugs to you.

I can't believe that it's already 11.30pm!! So much for an early night.

Nite all.

No comments: