Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

I wish I could sing

I am a big fan of 'reality tv'.  I think it's because I am a people watcher.  I once sat at Sydney airport for seven hours between flights just watching people.  It's fun to make up stories about the people and what fills their lives.

I enjoy watching people put themselves in unfamiliar territory, like Big Brother or Survivor, to see how they cope with new people, pressure situations, competition, change in routine, different diets and being out of their comfort zone.

By far, my favourite reality TV is the talent show.  American & Australian Idols, X Factor, Australia's Got Talent.  I am so envious of people with beautiful singing voices, who can stand on a stage with such 'presence' that they command the attention of thousands of people.

As a teenager, I thought I could sing well.  When I was 15, I was given a cassette player for my birthday (you young people may not know what that is, so I suggest that you google it!) and one of the first things that I did, was get myself a blank tape and record myself singing Olivia Newton John's 'I Honestly Love You'.

One of the more devastating moments of my life was when I played it to myself for the first time.  That horrible realisation that my singing voice was non-existant.  I couldn't hold a note.  Totally off-key for the whole song.  I would never be the next Olivia Newton John or Suzi Quatro.  

***sad face***

So it really irks me that so many hundreds of people audition for these talent shows when clearly they have no talent!  Have they ever listened to themselves?  What you hear in your own head is completely different to what you hear on the tape or recording of your voice.

 These shows should have a little room for these people to go into.  They can record their own singing, listen to it, and then decide if they really want to audition on national or international television.  Really!!

I have spent this afternoon watching American Idol.  The top twelve males and then the top twelve females.  I am imagining what it must be like to open your mouth and have such beautiful sounds flow out and over an audience of appreciative people.

I wonder if it's possible to go to lessons.  Start with nothing and after enough practise and hard work develop something remotely close to a pleasant singing voice?  Is it possible?  Am I too old?  Would the teacher listen once, shake his/her head and tell me 'there is no hope'?

Not long before my Mum passed away, I asked her "Is there anything you wish you could change about your life?" She replied "I would give anything to be six inches taller".  She was just under five feet tall.

If somebody asked me the same question, I would reply

"I wish I could sing"

1 comment:

Basa said...

From what i know you and a certain other person are very good at singing in the car LOL