Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lobster for Dinner?

Adoring Husband and Number One Son went fishing today.  Adoring Husband has spent the last month working on his boat to make it practical and safe for travelling a good distance out to sea for fishing trips.  Now that he is semi-retired, he plans on spending a lot of time golfing and fishing.  I'm hoping he knows a lot of 'blokes' who like to fish, because I don't like going out past the mouth of the river.  If we should get into trouble, I want a short swim to land, thank you very much!

So, very early this morning, Adoring Husband checked off the imaginary list in his head,  hooked up the boat and headed off to the boat ramp.  

Ten minutes later, he was back.  He'd left the GPS at home on the kitchen bench.  At the risk of being lectured about why he needed the GPS for this trip, I just want to remind you all how, for CENTURIES now, fishermen have been using the electronic GPS for finding good fishing spots, and how it is virtually impossible to fish without one!  (I just know that I am going to be in trouble for that paragraph)

Relieved, and with GPS in hand, off they drove to commence said fishing trip.

I had a lovely morning.  I pedalled down to the bakery for my first morning coffee in weeks and then met my lovely old boys at the boat ramp.  Hugs all round and they gave me a warm welcome home. Being the proud grandmother, I showed off photos of my little Chicklet, and they made all the correct 'Ooohing' and 'Aaahing' noises.

Afterwards, it was off to the Bakery to meet the girls for morning tea.  More welcoming hugs and more 'Ooohing' and 'Aaahing' over an hour of catching up with everyone's news.

A quick trip through the grocery store and off I pedalled home to do a little necessary housework, and you already know that I am a 'bare minimum' kind of gal.  I then sorted through all the packages of beads and charms that had arrived while I was away.  It was just like Christmas!

A phone call from Adoring Husband to let me know that they were ok and still fishing miles from nowhere.  They'd caught a shark that tried to eat Number One Son's thong (the foot wearing thong, not the underwear type thong) and they had lost a lot of bait and equipment from big fish that, of course, got away.  They DID take a photo of the shark, but the photo mysteriously disappeared from the phone before they got home.

The water police had also stopped them and checked all the safety gear on board, so Adoring Husband was relieved that he had spent so much time on getting it all up to scratch.

I had myself a nice quiet lunch, checked my emails and sorted through some of my jewellery making area, when Adoring Husband and Number One Son arrived home safe n sound.

No fish.  Great fishing stories about the ones that got away!   Emptied all the gear out of the boat, washed the boat, had showers (and boy did they need them!) and then sat down for a drink.  Big plans for tomorrow's fishing trip and discussing when they will leave and where they might go, all the while turning redder and redder as the afternoon wore on.

Of course, no sunscreen had been taken.  They had worn t-shirts, shorts and a cap.  The biggest thing they caught was a very bad case of sunburn.  Number One Son is literally limping because his legs are so badly burned.  The good old Aloe Vera plant has had a good workout this afternoon and evening, that's for sure!

So now, tomorrow's trip has been canned because they don't want to make the sunburn any worse and we are going to the movies instead.

I am very grateful to have had such a lovely morning and part afternoon to do my 'thing' catching up with friends and then relaxing at home.  It was a lovely way to spend my first day home and I'm looking forward to going to the movies tomorrow with my boys.

I might even give them a break from the lectures that I've been giving them (free of charge) about remembering to eat breakfast, drinking less alcohol and wearing sunscreen.  I won't even mention Number One Son's terrible smoking habit!  Just for one day.  I'll recommence lectures on Thursday ***evil witch laugh***.

Not just one, but two lobsters for dinner tonight.  A pair of sore and sorry lobster lads, who still won't have learned their lesson ... because after all, they ARE males!

No comments: