Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Day of Nothing

I attempted, for I believe the fifth time, to cook a crispy skinned pork belly for lunch today.

I am yet to succeed in this area. The same with roast pork. I simply cannot get the crunchy crackling right.

I've tried various recipes without success. I scour the skin. I dry the skin. I rub the salt. I cook it on high for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat for 2 hours. In the first 30 minutes, it looks promising, but then nothing happens.

So if anybody out there has a good fool proof recipe that they want to share with lil ol me .. please feel free .. I would be most appreciative.

I did baked veggies with it .. kipfler potatoes (yes I know they are not paleo), pumpkin, carrot and sweet potato. Then blanced greens. Asparagus, broccoli and beans blanched in water, lime and butter.

My belly was so full, I felt like a big fat pussycat all afternoon and just wanted to curl up in a corner and purr myself to sleep!

Tonight, for a light dinner, I rolled out some GF bread with a rolling pin until is was very thin and very flat, scraped a thin layer of butter on them and then lined a muffin tray with them (butter side down), added some baby spinach to the base and then filled them with a mixture of leftover chopped silverside, tomato, onion, mushroom and egg. Added a thin slice of cheese on top and baked them in the oven for 30 minutes on high.

That was our nice light dinner.

I've taken lots of photos of bugs and bees today, attempting to get a photo for this month's flickr challenge "A Bug's Life", but they are all still on camera. I will share them eventually.

I am also still procrastinating with studying and with reading my book about procrastination.

There is no hope for me.

Nite all.

 

1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

Roz the best advice I can give for a crispy skin is to leave the pork in the fridge uncovered for at least 24 hours before you cook it. The skin must be very dry to give a good crackle. And of course the oven set to about 220 degrees for about the first 45 mins of roasting time.