Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

That Time Again

Today does not just mark the first State of Origin football game.  It also marks the sixth anniversary of my Mum's passing.  She would have been 71 yrs old this year.

She was a HUGE football fan and followed her beloved Brisbane Broncos team with a lot of passion.  She was an even bigger fan of State of Origin football and was a 'true blue' Queenslander.

We all lived hundreds of kilometres apart, so if we weren't at the stadium watching the game live, Mum, Squirt (my little sister) and I were in our respective living rooms watching it live on telly and texting vigorously every time our team scored or whenever we were annoyed at the referee decisions.

At the end of the games, we would phone each other and squeal and cheer loudly if we'd won or we'd moan and groan with disgust if we'd lost.

It was at the very end of the first State of Origin game in 2005 that my mother died suddenly of a heart attack in her lounge chair.  There was no phone call that night and no response to my last text message.

Our favourite photo of Mum when she was about 16 yrs old.


So, as much as we love State of Origin time, the first game every year is tinged with sadness as we remember our lovely Mum.

This year, for me, is even sadder and I've struggled with my emotions today.

I miss her more than ever because we have little Chicklet.  Mum would have loved being a Great Grandmother and would be spoiling Chicklet rotten by now.

I imagine that she would have been here in my living room this year for the first State of Origin game, because Vegan Chickie, the Bare-chested Chef and Chicklet have just moved back to Australia and she would have been here quick smart to cuddle our new baby.

So, since it's that time again, I'll be wearing my State of Origin gear tonight and, as usual, waving the flag for Queensland, but wishing we were all together as a big happy family sharing the love for the game and for each other.

Me, flying the flag 

No comments: