Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Does this sound abusive to you?

My friends husband won't let her visit friends or family.

He's made her stop all contact with them unless it's by phone or computer.

He reads and censors her comments on social media.

He makes her feel like she's going crazy for thinking that he's controlling her and that she's being ungrateful, after all he's only doing this because of how much he cares for her.

He doesn't want her going to the gym anymore so she doesn't go.

He doesn't want her going to work anymore, so she doesn't go.

He told her, you've got to rely on me for income.

He doesn't let her go out anymore unless it's for necessities, and when she does he makes sure he has people in place to guilt trip her about it.

By now she is so weary, scared and miserable she will do anything just to have a life and feel less lonely.

He wants her to have a medical procedure done, that she really doesn't want to have.  He says if she does it for him, he'll let her start going to the pictures and for nights out with her friends again.

But even then, he wants her to download something on her phone so that he can trace her movements and keep track of exactly where she is every single day.  He says it reassures him and that its for her own good - because only he can keep her safe.

And to top it all off he's always telling her he's only doing this because he cares.

Did I say husband?

I meant Government.

Here's the funny thing in society.  We're outraged if we do this to a spouse, but when the government do it to us, we stand by and allow it to happen.

*****************************************************************

On the other end of the spectrum …

Peace is simplicity.

Peace is beauty.

Peace is genderless.

Peace is inclusive.

In these busy times, choose one day per week, as your day of simplicity.

For example, every Monday speak little. Listen with attention.

Do something nice for a person you are close to anonymously.

Eat simple, natural and most definitely FRESH food.

Create time periods for doing nothing at all.

Simply sit in silence and live the moment.

Appreciate each scene and each person as they are.

Remember - peace begins with you.

This could be a great New Year's Resolution.

*****************************************************************

Great day at the shop, finishing with another flourish to show good sales.

I got a lot of stocktaking done.

Only my last three customers wore masks. Everyone else walked in mask free.

A gentleman came by asking me to help him organise a rally in Burrum Heads to educate people about Covid, vaccinations and mandates. I told him he would have my full support but between the shop, a husband requiring care and taking care of my own mental health, there is no time for me to be organising anything. 

I will recruit the small but enthusiastic group of like minded people I know from this area. That group is about 25 strong and I’m sure they each know somebody else who would be keen.

Anyway, we’ll see what happens.

I had a lovely swim this afternoon. I swam 20 laps, floated, lay in the sun for 15 minutes and then sat in my egg chair to watch vax videos. 

I joined Adoring Husband in the lounge room until it was time to prepare dinner. Zucchini slice with salad and the chicken casserole was ready 30 minutes later. I ate a bag of lychees for dinner.

We’ve been watching the test cricket and really enjoying it.

It’s now 8.30pm and we are ready for bed.

Sadly, we lost one of our first Burrum friends last night. He was larger than life and brought many people together to form lasting friendships and strong connections over the years. Everybody has a story about him and his cheeky antics. He reached the ripe old age of 84 which is pretty miraculous considering how he abused his body over the years! He will definitely be missed but his memory will certainly live on through us all. RIP CB.


Nite all

No comments: