Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Brisvegas

We are exhausted.

I was up at 4am to be ready to leave at 5am to catch the train at 5.46am to Brisbane.

The train was on time but they didn’t have enough food to feed the passengers and they didn’t announce when the kiosk was open so that we could get tea/coffee until ten minutes before it was closing - at which point we were almost at our destination so we didn’t bother.

It was absolutely freezing in Brisbane with a very cold gusting wind blowing along every street so we searched for a little cafe to sit down away from the weather and enjoy a hot breakfast.

No such luck.

I handed $10 to a human sitting in the doorway of a closed shop obviously trying to get warm. Their gratitude was palpable with a combination of tears welling through their excited smile.

We found our way to the Myer Centre but the food court there was pretty unappealing. No GF options and it was shabby and old. We unsuccessfully tried different levels in the centre and eventually I settled on a Boost juice and AH found a coffee.

We decided to shop instead.

AH found some Gazman trousers on sale as well as some undies.

I found some new boots.


So warm and cozy and comfy but not on sale.

From there we walked outside and discovered a cafe in the mall. It was outdoors but protected from the weather and had overhead heating.

The food was good, not spectacular, but certainly filled our empty bellies. We both ordered pork belly.



It was a very pleasant hour with good music in the background.

We still had an hour to kill so we left the restaurant, popped into Dymocks where I purchased three new journals and then found a good spot for people watching. I wish I’d set my phone to take pics because there were some spectacles - both good and bad, but mostly good!

Next we had to search for a taxi rank because our walk to Professor Silburn was short but very steep and neither of our backs were in any shape for a steep uphill climb, plus we’re not getting any younger!

The taxi driver that we found was really cranky that we wanted him to drive us only 500 metres so he demanded $15 because he had waited 40 minutes for a fare.

Personally, I didn’t give a rat’s pizzle because I just wanted the trip to be short and painless!

We were a little early for the appointment, so we sat at a nearby cafe while AH ordered a coffee.

As we walked to the professor’s office, there were large signs on the glass panels stating “You must be double vaccinated to enter this premises. We WILL be checking your proof of vaccination.”

They didn’t.

What they also failed to check, was the appointment card that they sent us. The card read 3.30pm Tuesday 28th June.

Their books showed 3.30pm Thursday 28th July! 😳

Knowing that we had travelled so far AND because it was their mistake, they were going to squeeze us in today, but we would never have made our train on time to return home, so we declined.

AH requested that the next appointment be over the phone so they will call tomorrow and reschedule.

We called a taxi to take us to the station which was at least three times the distance that the last taxi driver took us. This driver charged us $10 so I tipped him $5!

While we waited for the train on those uncomfortable, cold, metal platform seats in the icy wind, I changed into my new snuggly warm boots. Very comfortable.




The train left on time. There was abundant food on this one - we ordered bangers and mash. The movie was “My Girl” - always a tear jerker. Not too many on the carriage - there were only four of us on the way down and about eight on the way home, so that was pleasant.

I do have to complain about the new seats though. Not at all comfortable and my back is complaining loudly tonight!

BGWLBH was waiting in the car park to drive us home and thank goodness for her because it has been a LONG day.

My bed is very comfortable and warm so I will shortly be falling asleep to the sound of Wimbledon in the background.


Nite all.

No comments: