Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Too Old

I am getting way too old for this sh&%.

It has been a huge weekend with my niece, her partner and my sister.

After five nights with a new puppy settling into our home and short bursts of very interrupted sleep including Friday night when Harley suffered a horrendous bout of diarrhoea and had me up at 3am cleaning out his sleeping cage, bathing him (for the first time) and washing all of his bedding, this weekend with my sister absolutely wore me out!

Thank goodness BGWLBH and Adoring Husband gave me the opportunity to sleep for a couple of hours before the expected time of arrival for my niece. 

BGWLBH prepped all the food as instructed while I collapsed into bed and slept for an unsettled 2 hours.

When my niece arrived, it was a fabulous surprise to see my sister appear from nowhere and it was quite shocking to realise that it had been 9yrs since we’d hugged each other. There were many tears.

We spent a good 5 hours in the pool sharing a platter of nibbles and many alcoholic beverages, laughing and mucking about like crazy people.

We had a barbecue for dinner with all of the prepped salads and all of us were exhausted in bed by 8.30pm!

Harley had me up twice during the night and I was out of bed at 4am.

I prepared bacon and eggs for everybody this morning and we all took advantage of the weather and the pool again, playing catch with a giant exercise ball in the water.

At lunch time I phoned to order some fish and chips for our lunch and AH drove down to pick it up while we set the table with leftover salads.

I think it was around 2pm when they all said their goodbyes, climbed into the car and headed south. There were more tears.

I collapsed on the family room couch and slept soundly for a solid two hours until Harley raucously woke me up with a start!

BGWLBH and I shared tea and cookies while we debriefed the weekend, and the rest of the afternoon was spent attempting to tire out Harley who was full of beans!

It was every man for himself at dinner time and it’s now 10pm and I’m totally exhausted.

It has been a fabulous but tiring weekend.

Harley is sleeping in my bedroom tonight (in his cage) and I’m hoping that he won’t be disturbed at 4am by AH and Colli and that I might get a little more sleep.

Fingers crossed.

This is my sister laden with empty stubbies and alcoholic beverage bottles on Saturday afternoon.


Nite all.

No comments: