Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Sunday Drive

The weather improved enough today, that Adoring Husband and I decided to go for a drive.

We left home around 9am and headed north.  We had no idea where we were going, but thought we would play it by ear.

Firstly we took a quick turn right to find a little place called Buxton, right on the river.  We had driven past the turn off many times in the past and had often thought about dropping in there on the way home from other activities, but it was always too late or we were too tired and just wanted to get home.

So today we did it.  Nice place to visit, briefly, but I wouldn't want to live there.  Adoring Husband firmly stated that he couldn't think of a reason to ever return to Buxton.

We drove on to Childers, where we considered stopping for breakfast, but the cafe was very busy, and I didn't want to sit in a busy, noisy place, so we kept driving.

The next town was Apple Tree Creek.  It has a bird sanctuary, so we decided to stop in there and practise our photography - in preparation for our zoo workshop next weekend.

I haven't worked on the photos yet, but here is a sneak preview ...

Love Birds - or - Birds in Love
The sanctuary was pretty busy with birds preparing for spring.  Building nests seemed to be the order of the day.

We spent a couple of hours there taking hundreds of photos and the only reason we left when we did, was because we were starving!

We had skipped breakfast and it was now 1pm, so we left the sanctuary and drove about 50 metres up the road to 'Sticky Beaks' wood fire pizza restaurant and shared a pizza.  Delicious!!

From there, we returned to Childers and decided to explore the back roads, until we were stopped by a flooded causeway.

We got out of the car and walked around taking photos of the running water which fed into a lovely stream surrounded by rainforest.  We got some good shots there.

We continued to drive towards home and then took the turn off to the other end of our town.  We took some more happy snaps of the foot bridge and surrounding waterways and then onto the beach for about fifteen minutes.

By now it was 4.30pm so we drove to our local shops and sat outside eating hamburgers for dinner (not a very healthy day at all today!).

The sun was beginning to set behind the clouds, so we drove to the park and set up our tripods in a good position to catch the sunset behind the moored yachts and the water.

In theory, this was a good idea.  We forgot about the sandflies.  We usually have bug spray to protect us but today, we didn't, and within ten minutes, Adoring Husband was being bitten all over, so he packed up and sat in the car waiting for me.

Unfortunately, after he left, the sandflies decided that I was the next best thing, so I only lasted another ten minutes myself.

No sunset shots today.

We arrived home at about 5.30pm.

A long and enjoyable Sunday drive, doing what we love best.

Nite all.

 

No comments: