Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Musical Chairs

We were at the shop ready for the carpet cleaner three minutes early.

The carpet cleaner was at the shop twenty minutes late - I was just finding his number to call him when he pulled into the parking space beside us.

Tardiness annoys me but it seems to be a common trait of many Queensland residents so I just have to get over myself.

I expected that he would take at least three hours to clean the entire shop but he took less than two hours and he charged $100 less than I expected so that made up for his tardiness haha.

I dropped the keys off at Elders. It was all very unceremonious and quick. No time for emotional breakdowns.

Adoring Husband and I needed to drive into The Bay so it was nice to get an earlier start than expected.

We had to sign some paperwork for our financial advisors and deliver it, so we got that out of the way first.

Our goal for the day was to find some new dining chairs.

Our dining table is 4cm higher than a normal table, but our chairs are the normal height, so even a tall person feels like a kid needing a booster seat. We all sit on cushions, which is fine to eat a meal, but NOT for games sessions that can go for hours. Very uncomfortable.

We sat on at least 50 different chairs today.

Only three of them were perfectly comfortable and a good height.

One was only available in black and most of our furniture is white, brown or charcoal grey. Black velvet would be very out of place.

One was heavenly comfortable, available in multiple colours and I absolutely loved them BUT at $690 (on sale from $790) per chair when we require six chairs, a total of $4140 was just a touch more than we wanted to pay for our new chairs, especially when they don’t go perfectly with our table.

You may ask - why not just buy a new dining suite? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my table and we have a matching tall end cabinet with glass doors. The set is very much my style so it’s staying put. This is the set …


The third set of chairs were on sale in the back corner of Early Settler, but they are a silver grey low chair with a wrap around back. Not sure about the silver grey colour.

After 3.5 hours, we were done with chairs.

I should mention that in that time we selected a new lounge suite, recliner chair and outdoor setting for the pool. We didn’t buy them yet, but we desperately need a new recliner for AH - this was supposed to be a quality leather chair 3 years ago …


The descriptions ‘quality’ and ‘leather’ are both highly questionable today.

I found my dream modular lounge - oversized and cushiony and perfect. The saleswoman emailed a quote through this afternoon for that and a black leather recliner and now we need to make a decision. 

Actually, I’ve made my decision, now it’s up to AH 😜

We stopped at Pillow Talk and bought some thick chair shaped cushions to try on our dining chairs. We are going to sit at the table tomorrow on the new cushions, play some games and see how our backs and butts feel after an hour or two.

Our next option is a trip to Bundaberg.

We did some groceries, got a boost juice and headed home.

It was almost 4pm when I sat down feeling ‘done in’. AH cooked dinner on the barbecue while I did my share in the kitchen and we ate early.

Now it’s almost 10.30pm already!

Time for bed.



Nite all.

No comments: