Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Camping Heaven

There was a Caravan and Camping Expo in Maryborough today.

I agreed to go with Adoring Husband and check out the camping gear.

I hate camping.

You need to understand my history with camping/caravaning.

I travelled around Australia and lived in a caravan with my parents for seven years as a child.

My camping experiences in a tent, were all with my previous partner, and we really roughed it out bush, in a two man tent on the banks of the Lachlan River.

Walking a hundred yards with a shovel and a roll of toilet paper to do our 'business'.  Cooking in the camp oven over the hot coals of an open fire.  Bathing in the river.

We camped like this at least once a month and over a three or four day, long weekend.

In the beginning it was a bit of fun or a novelty, but that soon wore thin and became less and less enjoyable as I got older and less agile.  This went on for almost thirteen years ***groan***.

So now I have Adoring Husband, who loves to camp and caravan, and has done so regularly for most of his life.

He has always done it in style and comfort though, so his experiences are all pleasant and enjoyable.

Now that we have taken up photography as a hobby and possible business (down the track), he has suggested that we go camping, so that we can be in the right place at the right time for dawn and dusk photographic opportunities.

Initially I flatly refused to do this.

After today and seeing all of the camping and caravaning options available, I am warming to the idea.

Of course the $278,000 Winnebago was absolutely delightful and if I was going to move out of my house and live in a mobile vehicle ... the Winnebago would be a MUST!!

However, we would only be taking a couple of days here and there, so I am very inclined to go with the $15,000 camper trailer with the huge bed and the fabulous roof that reduces the Summer heat in the tent considerably.

It's something to consider seriously and perhaps do a little more research into.

I sense that Adoring Husband is beginning to feel a tingle of excitement at the remote possibility of re-establishing his caravan/camping lifestyle.

So while Adoring Husband was in Camping Heaven today, I was just feeling the water with my big toe.

Let's see what the future has in store!

No comments: