Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Missing in Action

This month's photography workshop originally had seven people listed, a family of three pulled out due to a death in the family, one woman had to withdraw due to her work roster, one man pulled out but asked to do the next one and another lady just never returned my calls. This meant that just three days before the workshop was to commence, I had ONE person left!

After a few phone calls, a few emails and an announcement at my talk the other day, two more came to the party and I could still run the workshop with three fabulous participants ...


It was another great workshop and they were lovely people whose company was a real pleasure, which made the weekend really enjoyable.

I would like to share this story highlighting my weak (some might say 'complete lack of') organisational skills.

I was running a 'Photography for Beginners' workshop this weekend.

On Thursday afternoon, I began setting up, but couldn't find my worksheets or course material.

I searched all through the shop to no avail, but wasn't too concerned, believing that I had taken it all home after the previous workshop.

That evening, I searched all through the house to avail, and this time I was very concerned because I had no idea what had happened to it all!

Nowhere to be found.

Back to work on Friday where I logged into the Photography Course file on my iMac and discovered that only about one third of it is stored there.

Ugh.

So I printed out what was there, knowing that the remaining two thirds was on my MacBook at home.

Still not concerned, I came home on Friday afternoon, got ready and went out for my usual Friday night at the club.

We came home from there a bit after 7.30pm and cooked dinner, sat down to eat it while watching the football, after which (by this time, it's 10pm) I put my MacBook on my lap and began the search for the remaining course material.

To my dismay, the information sheets were there but my 'example' photos were not.

Ugh.

Seriously?!

I spent the evening printing the info sheets and then searching for new photos to print. My originals were not on file, so I had to search for and print new example photos.

Then I had to put it all in order in preparation for day one of the workshop.

I made extra copies to set aside for future emergencies.

It was 1am when I finally made it to bed.

Hence no blog post for Friday night.

Day two of my workshop is always only partially planned because the participants always ask at least one question on the first day, for which I do not have an answer, so I write the question/s down, research the answer and provide new information sheets on day two.

One of the participants this weekend was a little more advanced than the others and asked questions that a true beginner would not think of, so Saturday night was about creating a new information sheet for day two.

While I was doing that, I thought of something else so I worked on that to add to day two.

It was after 11pm when I headed to bed, hence no blog post on Saturday night!

Ask me where all of my course material is right now? Right now, as I sit here writing this blog post, I have no bloody idea where my course material is ... not even the extras that I printed for emergencies!

There is no hope for me.

Nite all.

No comments: