Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Pain in the Rear

I was up bright and early for meditation and we had to leave 20 minutes earlier than usual because I realised that the room wasn’t ready!

It was still in the same condition as when the jewellery rep came on Friday so we had to fold up the small table, get rid of a big cardboard box, vacuum the floor and set out the socially distanced chairs as well as place the donation box in its usual position.

We had four spare seats this morning because I think some regulars may have assumed it wasn’t on due to me being closed. It was still a good lesson nonetheless.

I scooted everyone out the door as soon as we finished and The Gypsy and I jumped in her car and headed out to her home.

We didn’t waste any time getting started on the sour dough bread making lesson. I took notes as she demonstrated and explained the process. While her demonstration loaf was in the oven, we sat down to a cup of tea and chatted about ‘stuff’ and ‘life’ and all the recent lessons we’ve learned, challenges we’ve faced and tests we’ve passed.

The bread was baked, she gave me a cup full of the bread starter to take home and start my own production and cut four slices from her loaf for me to take home and share with Adoring Husband.

The fermentation process that’s involved with making your own sourdough bread removes the gluten from the flour. The stuff you buy from most bakers and supermarkets is not “real” sourdough because of the shortcuts they take in making it. So, by rights, I should be able to eat this one without issue 👍

At midday, Adoring Husband arrived to pick me up and The Gypsy and I reluctantly said our goodbyes and ended the visit with a warm hug.

We drove to the shop to wait for more nonexistent deliveries. Annoying. I’ll make phone calls tomorrow.

As we waited at the door, customers wanted to browse so we welcomed them in and at least we made some sales to make the wait worthwhile.

Before we returned home, we bought some protein for dinner and a couple of salad items. I got to see the beginnings of the supermarket staff’s Halloween costumes - they will be in full costume for the next three days. It’s always a bit of fun at this time of year in Foodworks.

We rushed home in an attempt to miss the big storms looming upon us but we were very lucky and only copped the edge of it, which provided some more refreshing rain, but not as much as yesterday.

Just as AH and I were preparing dinner, the power failed! Luckily, he was using the barbecue and I was putting a salad together so it wasn’t a disaster - however, we have now been without power for more than two hours. 

The storms have all passed now. Every so often we hear a gentle rumble of thunder in the distance but we should have a quiet night.

AH is snoring in the chair beside me and there is a soft cool breeze blowing through the front windows which makes it more bearable inside.

I’m missing The Bachelorette so I’ll have to go online and catch the episode there.

Meanwhile, I may as well go to bed and listen to a good book until the battery in my phone goes dead.

I’m looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. I’ve enjoyed my two extra days of rest - although I did fill those days with plenty of activity, so I don’t exactly feel rested - but catching up socially with people who matter is oh so good for my soul.



Nite all.

No comments: