Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, September 24, 2021

What a Flourish!

My day was very slow to start.

I did a lot of garment steaming in the first 90 minutes, then I checked the mail, sat down to a cup of tea and wondered where everyone was!

By midday, I had just reached my happy minimum.

I checked my emails, finalised an order of jewellery that I’d had on hold for about six weeks, made a big pile of paperwork ready for filing.

At 1pm I had a surge of customers that more than doubled my sales for the day, making it a very good day!

At 1.40pm I received a phone call from a new supplier who had my first order ready for personal delivery but she was just leaving Hervey Bay so I agreed to stay open until she arrived.

At 1.50pm a regular local walked in the door with friends and she asked “Are you about to close?” I told her it was their lucky day and I’d be open for another 30 minutes. Another lady walked in at the same time.

By 2.30pm I had once again more than doubled my ‘very good’ sales!

So what a great day to finish off a great week still with half a day yo go.

While I’m not usually one to get into Covid discussions with my customers, I was feeling particularly tender today because my bestie was forced against her will to have the vaccination today, or lose her job. 

An annual holiday maker who comes into the shop every year made an off handed but emotional comment about teachers and vaccinations which triggered my very passionate response with a shipload of statistics and information that in the beginning she attempted to argue about but in the end she had nothing else but mainstream fear mongering to throw at me.

My final argument citing some close personal experiences was enough to stop her in her tracks.

I was surprised by her words as she left the shop “You still have a beautiful shop and I’ll be back.”

Honestly, I was not in a great place and I was quite prepared to forever lose her custom.

I was very happy to watch Wayne Bennett’s Bunnies defeat Manly in tonight’s preliminary final! They played a fabulous game and I think I’ll support them in the Grand Final next week.

Now it’s time to sleep.




Nite all.

No comments: