Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Productive

It was a steady sales day.

One lady came in with a group of friends and announced VERY loudly “There’s a framed sunset photo as you walk in the door but it’s no better than anything I’ve got on my phone”

To which I responded just as loudly “Well thank you very much!”

Her friends all looked at me with a touch of embarrassment in their eyes, but she didn’t even look up.

While she was trying clothes on in the fitting room, they all left. None of them told her they were going so she was quite put out when she walked into a now empty shop!

She told me that they did that to her when they were all in Phuket one time and she had to find her own way back to the motel which, apparently, was harrowing for her!

She began to show me the sunset photos on her phone and told me that she had one done on a canvas but it didn’t come out very well. I said to her “ That’s the only trouble with phones, they look great on the screen but if you try to print one large, it doesn’t work”.

That’s when I realised that she had a serious hearing problem and needed to be reading my lips to understand what I said ... and why she didn’t look up when I responded to her initial insult.

She responded by walking over to my sunset photo and said “Yes this was probably taken with a good camera.”

“Yes! It’s a Canon 5D Mark IV” I blurted.

“Oh that explains it.” she said.

“No” I replied, “I think it’s more about the person being a good photographer.”

She looked at me and asked “Are you the photographer?”

I nodded.

That was when she realised her error in judgement and feeling flustered, went looking for something to purchase to allay her guilt.

We parted as friends 👍

Between serving customers I cleared some of the hand made jewellery from behind the counter and found some spots through the shop to display them.

I also sat in the training room at my little table covered in yesterday’s jewellery haul calculating prices, removing the wholesale tags and adding my own tags to everything.

I rearranged some of the jewellery in the glass cabinets to make space for the new selection but decided to bring all the lovely pieces home so that I can take photos to post on social media, which I will do tomorrow.

Adoring Husband replaced the weather strip on the back door at the shop in preparation for the inclement weather that has been forecast. He bought grilled fish from the local cafe for lunch - delicious! He washed dishes in the kitchen while I finished up.

We didn’t close the shop until after 2pm and by the time we finished tidying up loose ends it was 2.45pm when we got home.

I got changed, put on a load of washing, made myself an ice cream cone and planted my butt on the lounge.

We sat in a silent room for about 2 hours. AH fell asleep in his chair and I cleared some emails, checked social media, monitored the BOM for the weather that never happened, printed out my kombucha recipe and planned dinner.

I used the leftover Hainan chicken, added diced carrots, onion, spinach, snow peas and some of my creamy home made mushroom soup from the freezer, added a pinch of powdered ginger and chilli powder and OMG the flavour of that nutritious goodness was to die for. 

We are watching the AFL grand final right now and Richmond is leading by 16 points with nine minutes remaining in the game. I’m going for Richmond. My usual team is Carlton who have performed poorly for the last two decades. Prior to that, they were never out of the top 8.

Anyway, it has been a good day and I’m hoping to go for a dip in the pool tomorrow, depending on the weather of course. There’ll be a photo shoot and perhaps some art play.

The shop is now closed for my mini break and won’t reopen until Thursday 29th October. I’m looking forward to the break and have almost all that time booked out with play dates!


I hope that Vegan Chickie, Chicklet and Mr Perfect have settled into their new family home tonight and are feeling all snug and warm together.

Now it’s time to go cheer out the end of the game.

Nite all.

No comments: